ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows Phone Narrator should be punished!

<< < (2/2)

Stoic Joker:
I'm not sure the on screen keyboard would cooperate-x16wda (February 06, 2016, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nope, it wont.

Shades:
After finally giving in on updating some apps and system software I noticed an an option called: Narrator. Curiosity got hold of me and I activated it. Then I forgot about it and the phone went into energy saving mode. -Shades (February 06, 2016, 12:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

So... In your many years of experience with Windows. You never once wandered across - or afoul of - the Win + U hotkey that sets off Narrator to present the Ease of Access features that have been around since Win2k? Ouch! Damn curiosity..

-Stoic Joker (February 06, 2016, 07:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, I did not. The Narrator appears to be for people that have very poor to no vision. And there aren't many people that have such problems in my circles. The ones I do know are usually in their golden years and solve their vision issue(s) with glasses in one form or another. So no, I am not that familiar with hot-keys for functions that allow people with disabilities to work with Windows.

If it wasn't clear from my story...there wasn't even access to the on-screen keyboard. Besides headphones (the simple wired kind without microphone) and SD-card, I don't have a need for peripherals. So there wasn't  a blue-tooth keyboard either.

Connecting the phone to my PC only reveals a window where the status of the phone (battery level, messages, storage space) is shown. And the icons that allow direct access to the phone's storage, import pictures and manage media. It is rather simple in design, but very workable from the beginning. A far better experience than I have had with any Android phone or tablet or iPad. If there would be an option to write WhatsApp/Skype/SMS/MMS messages using this window, it would have been perfect. Writing messages with a proper keyboard...ah well, there must be room to dream, right? Unfortunately, the 'Project my Screen' project isn't working nicely with my Lumia 520, but it should with model 630 and up. And there is also it's spiritual successor, Continuum.

As I said, my needs for a smart phone are very basic. Too basic for me to justify buying the Lumia 950 and necessary devices to make the Continuum concept happen. Still, people that want to do all of their computing with their phone, I will never understand. Buying every kind of peripheral, play games, play movies etc. ...it is just a phone! No matter the size of its screen, it is too small to truly enjoy a movie or other form of media. Is this a problem of me being old-fashioned or not accepting sub-par computing/media just like the rest of the world seems to be so eager to do? I don't know.

Anyway, enough ranting for the day.

tomos:
I was trying to persuade myself into buying a cheap Win-phone, to compare the experience to my Android (personal) and iOs (work) phones, but this story increased the downside with another mile or so, so it'll take a lot of upside points to compensate again :o
-Ath (February 06, 2016, 03:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nothing so dramatic but I did find there were a few annoying aspects to Android (only have experience with 4.4 and haven't used it in a while).

Been using a Lumia 730 for almost two months, but at a very basic level.
Writing texts is hugely better with Win.8.1 -- the keyboard is much better; tbh I still dont fully understand how auto-correct works -- it seems to replace a word when it knows what you've written is incorrect, but it doesnt always; gives a great choice though for auto-correct.

It has no concept of back-up to SD, or save contacts to phone -- everything goes online (google or outlook). Using gmail I have yet to be able to search archived emails -- this not a big deal for me atm but may be important in the future, so I hope find a solution.

Stoic Joker:
Still, people that want to do all of their computing with their phone, I will never understand. Buying every kind of peripheral, play games, play movies etc. ...it is just a phone! No matter the size of its screen, it is too small to truly enjoy a movie or other form of media. Is this a problem of me being old-fashioned or not accepting sub-par computing/media just like the rest of the world seems to be so eager to do? I don't know.-Shades (February 06, 2016, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hm... I'll go with old fashioned, damned if I know, and me too. :D

tomos:
Still, people that want to do all of their computing with their phone, I will never understand. Buying every kind of peripheral, play games, play movies etc. ...it is just a phone! No matter the size of its screen, it is too small to truly enjoy a movie or other form of media. Is this a problem of me being old-fashioned or not accepting sub-par computing/media just like the rest of the world seems to be so eager to do? I don't know.-Shades (February 06, 2016, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hm... I'll go with old fashioned, damned if I know, and me too. :D
-Stoic Joker (February 06, 2016, 02:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that a movie for one, or two intimately, is fine on an average size smartphone these days.
Me though, I'm afraid of going there [edit] hang on a sec, I didnt mean the intimate bit [/edit] : I enjoy having a percentage of (awake) life that is relatively internet free. Why I enjoy keeping smartphone use to a minimum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version