ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In-Car Emergency Kit - Your Recommendations

<< < (5/7) > >>

holt:
Paper copies of Boy Scout and Girl Scout manuals, which are full of sensible survival information. There may be vintage 'best editions' which those 'in the know' may hold consensus of opinion are to be sought after even as used copies, but any edition is worth keeping handy in a heavy-duty 'freezer' zip-lock baggie.
A box of heavy duty trash bags for keeping critical items dry.
I might also mention an umbrella, to protect you from the sun in hot climes; I prefer black, because I've tried light colors before, and it is no fun standing under the glare of an off-white umbrella in the desert with a borderline heat stroke headache and wishing you had got the black one for the superior relief from eye strain. Just a normal size is fine; it is very fatiguing to fight the wind holding a really large size.

CWuestefeld:
Speaking of books... we keep in my wife's car, the one we use for road trips, a book called "Next Exit". This lists the Interstate highways in each state, and for each, the exits in order. Each exit lists what services are available off that exit - any fast food, gas, hotels, etc. For really long trips (like when we moved from NJ to TX) this really helps in figuring out how far to go before stopping for gas, and where we should stop for the night.

IainB:
@CWuestefeld: "Next Exit" sounds like a seriously useful - if not essential - touring aid.

x16wda:
So after looking at all these excellent recommendations, something like this looks like a good bet too (assuming your "in" includes "on")...

In-Car Emergency Kit - Your Recommendations

tomos:
Stephen,
I think you'll need a bigger car ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version