ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In-Car Emergency Kit - Your Recommendations

<< < (3/7) > >>

MilesAhead:
Since I got rid of my roll-around toolbox and its contents years ago(to discourage me from accepting yet another job as a mechanic) if I bought a new car the most important items in my emergency kit would be:

a) charged cell phone
b) charged debit card
c) jazz tunes to listen to while waiting for the service vehicle to arrive.  :)

holt:
For major auto accident injuries to help control massive bleeding, a package of maxie size feminine hygiene pads (recommended to me once by a former Green Beret).
Temporary fix for minor radiator leaks; a can of black pepper.
Chemically luminescent plastic light sticks that you bend to break the inner glass vial and shake to give a greenish light that's good for several hours, is non-electric and safe around gasoline spills, and waterproof; also some dark tape to cover one side so you don't blind yourself.
One or more 'space blankets'.
One of those little fold-up Army shovels; you can alternate between jacking the stuck car tire up a little at a time, and putting dirt under the tire, jacking it up some more, add more dirt, going back and forth alternately, to dig your car out of a deep rut or ditch; also a long narrow section of old carpet for traction.
A can of carburetor spray, and one of ether easy engine start spray, road flares, spare tire in a can aerosol can.
I read somewhere that if a person wants to pull over off the side of a road and sleep off 'one drink too many' while remaining in the vehicle, they can still charge you with a technical DUI if the car keys are in the car, so the suggestion was to put the keys on the road under the car; don't know how good the advice is, and I don't drink; so comment--anyone?
BTW your car is a beaut. :)

KynloStephen66515:
Chemically luminescent plastic light sticks that you bend to break the inner glass vial and shake to give a greenish light that's good for several hours, is non-electric and safe around gasoline spills, and waterproof
-holt (February 05, 2016, 09:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Longest description ever for a "Glow Stick" haha

OMFG *FacePalm* You have got to be kidding me?!?

NEVER Trust a Sensor to do an EyeBalls job!

-Stoic Joker (February 05, 2016, 11:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, don't get me wrong...I'll be keeping an eye on it, but those sensors will be handy for checking levels without having to go to the vehicle (I'm lazy!)

I read somewhere that if a person wants to pull over off the side of a road and sleep off 'one drink too many' while remaining in the vehicle, they can still charge you with a technical DUI if the car keys are in the car, so the suggestion was to put the keys on the road under the car; don't know how good the advice is, and I don't drink; so comment--anyone?
--- End quote ---

I was under the impression this is only if the keys are in the ignition (same as the UK), in the same sense as you could get charged with "Intention to drive without a license" if you have the engine running whilst in the drivers seat, and don't have a license (also the same if you are on the phone and have the engine running/are in gear) - It's safer just to turn off the engine and put the keys in your pocket IMHO...If you put the keys outside the vehicle, you risk them getting stolen or lost (sudden heavy rain could easily wash them away)

BTW your car is a beaut.
--- End quote ---

4wd:
--- End quote ---

I was under the impression this is only if the keys are in the ignition (same as the UK), in the same sense as you could get charged with "Intention to drive without a license" if you have the engine running whilst in the drivers seat, and don't have a license (also the same if you are on the phone and have the engine running/are in gear) - It's safer just to turn off the engine and put the keys in your pocket IMHO...If you put the keys outside the vehicle, you risk them getting stolen or lost (sudden heavy rain could easily wash them away)-Stephen66515 (February 06, 2016, 12:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

It seems to be, as usual, a matter of intent and interpretation:

Being Drunk in Charge of a Motor Vehicle

The offence of being Drunk in Charge is committed if:

“a person is in charge of any motor vehicle on a road or other public place after consuming so much alcohol that the proportion of it in his breath, blood or urine exceeds the prescribed limit he is guilty of an offence”

Whether or not a person is in charge of a motor vehicle is or the facts of each individual case, the key question being whether the person is in control of the vehicle and whether in the circumstances there is a realistic possibility of him taking control of the vehicle. These cases will usually arise in circumstances where a motorist who is above the prescribed limit is found inside a car, but is not driving. The unwitting motorist can easily stumble into this situation, where they enter their car for the purpose of sleeping or with the intention of removing belongings.
--- End quote ---

holt:
Chemically luminescent plastic light sticks that you bend to break the inner glass vial and shake to give a greenish light that's good for several hours, is non-electric and safe around gasoline spills, and waterproof
--- End quote ---
Longest description ever for a "Glow Stick"
-Stephen66515 (February 06, 2016, 12:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oh yes, one of those, too. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version