ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft - Windows 10 aggression

(1/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
It is official - now Windows 10 is part of the recommended updates for Windows 7

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/2/10893620/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade-recommended-update

If you have the default Windows Update settings it will download and start the installation. Ok you can stop it but I can see my life getting busier over the next few weeks.

Not sure if this isn't actually criminal - I have some programmes that are not Windows 10 compatible that I rely on for work - an automated update would really mess with my business!!! Wait for the law suits

If you want to block Windows 10 upgrades altogether create these registry keys (you can create a .reg file in notepad and cut and paste the following - then double click the file and add the entries automatically):

--- ---Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
"AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000000
"ReservationsAllowed"=dword:00000000

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade\State]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]
"DisableGWX"=dword:00000001

dr_andus:
Yes, it is an incredible situation when customers are forced to take extra measures of protection in order not to accidentally 'buy' a 'free' product they don't want.

Few other situations I can think of where I have to do all this just to not get something.

I guess protecting myself against a virus or malware is what comes to mind...

holt:
"I'm from the government Microsoft and I'm here to help."  8)

"Gee, so you're a Microsoft upgrade technician. Wow, can I help you out? Which way did you come in?"

Deozaan:
Must be time to move to Linux and put Windows <10 in a VM with a snapshot you can revert to if it somehow accidentally tries to update itself. ;)

KynloStephen66515:
What happens if you upgrade, then use the downgrade option? Will it still bug you to upgrade then?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version