ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The tool from the chinese shop in my neighborhood (image search)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Contro:
an in english
 :-*

The tool from the chinese shop in my neighborhood (image search)

And the winner is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Yandex !!!!

mwb1100:
I still don't know what #9 is, even when given the name "auxiliary direction indicator".

Does anyone know what you would actually use it for?

rgdot:
It's a compass of sorts, floating object placed in the middle when the tool is sitting/dipped in water. There are youtube videos under 'survival kits' or similar queries showing it in use.

wraith808:
It is a Kickstarter that has a Chinese Knock off.  Apparently on a lot of these tooling Kickstarter projects, there are Chinese knock offs that are not as durable as the originals.

mwb1100:
It's a compass of sorts, floating object placed in the middle when the tool is sitting/dipped in water. There are youtube videos under 'survival kits' or similar queries showing it in use.
-rgdot (February 02, 2016, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not exactly sure why you'd need the marked hole to get use out of a compass you made with a magnetized wire/needle - just float the needle in any small container of water.  However, looking this up did net me a couple of neat bits of trivia:

1) apparently you can magnetize the appropriate kind of wire or needle using the static electricity generated by rubbing it with hair or fur.  I can't imagine that it's easy, but apparently it'll work.  I might have to try it one day just to see if I can get it to be a compass.

2) one guy who posted a video about one of these tools found that the tool itself was already magnetized and that by hanging it on a thread (using the provided lanyard hole) it would align itself to magnetic north.  That seems like a more useful makeshift compass than the "direction auxiliary indicator".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version