ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Sync Laptop & Desktop

<< < (8/9) > >>

ppass:
Syncback
-Carol Haynes (February 02, 2016, 08:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Definitely a very good option. In Syncback, just create a sync profile. It works both ways (a file added / modified on your laptop will become added/modified on your desktop and vice versa).

Be careful not to modify the same file both on the laptop and desktop at the same time, otherwise there will be a conflict (SynBack Pro will ask you which version of the file you want to keep). This is not a cloud solution, no need for an Internet connection.

keithy397:
Syncback
-Carol Haynes (February 02, 2016, 08:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Definitely a very good option. In Syncback, just create a sync profile. It works both ways (a file added / modified on your laptop will become added/modified on your desktop and vice versa).

Be careful not to modify the same file both on the laptop and desktop at the same time, otherwise there will be a conflict (SynBack Pro will ask you which version of the file you want to keep). This is not a cloud solution, no need for an Internet connection.-ppass (September 19, 2016, 02:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hi ppass,

I do have Syncback (and have had for quite some time) on my Laptop and I understand what you're saying but how do I connect it to the Desktop as well as the Laptop?  There is only one Ethernet socket on the external HDD.  The only way I can think of is via Wifi??  I have just realised.....  My two machines are linked via my wifi so if I search for the Desktop files via my Laptop to select the Desktop files to backup and then select the same file in my Syncback files on my HDD......  Is that what you mean?   

Cheers,
Keith

ppass:
Hi ppass,

I do have Syncback (and have had for quite some time) on my Laptop and I understand what you're saying but how do I connect it to the Desktop as well as the Laptop?  There is only one Ethernet socket on the external HDD.  The only way I can think of is via Wifi??  I have just realised.....  My two machines are linked via my wifi so if I search for the Desktop files via my Laptop to select the Desktop files to backup and then select the same file in my Syncback files on my HDD......  Is that what you mean?   

Cheers,
Keith
-keithy397 (September 19, 2016, 07:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can use a portable device like an external hard disk to do the go-between. You Sync your desktop to the USB hard disk, then sync the USB hard disk to the laptop. Or you can just use the desktop and the USB hard disk and plug the USB hard disk to your laptop when you need to work on the data, without having to actually write the data to the laptop.

If your laptop and desktop are on the same LAN, and you have admin rights, you can share a folder to make it visible on the network and you can map a network drive, then put the proper source / destination in the smart sync profile. I have not tested it but it should work.

More advanced features of SyncBack Pro enable you to sync to the cloud (SharePoint / OneDrive for example) both ways (with your Laptop and your desktop).

keithy397:
P.S. And it's also for situations when you want to force the direction of the sync, i.e. when you want to ignore certain changes for certain files or folders on one machine and overwrite them with older versions from the other machine.
-dr_andus (February 02, 2016, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just to clarify when this might be useful. Image you have the same already synced copy of a database file on the desktop and on a laptop. Then you do a lot of changes on the laptop to that file.

Then you reopen the same database application later on the desktop, to check something without changing anything. However, even that would have modified the file, as lots of database type apps might modify a file when you just open it to look at it.

Some cloud services might pick the desktop version as the latest version and overwrite the laptop version that has the important changes. Allway Sync allows you to review the files and force the sync in the direction in which you want it to happen, not which file was changed last.
-dr_andus (February 03, 2016, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

a good argument for also having good local backup on each machine with multiple versions saved -- for that time when you just forget that you opened that database...
-tomos (February 04, 2016, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Okeydokey!!   I've got my head around it now, thanks for the heads up guys in that respect.   ;)

MarkLasby:
The license requirements for the free version of Allways Sync are quite restrictive. If you do not qualify for a free licenses with Allways Sync, the cost of the Pro version is $26 for the first computer plus $16 for each additional USB device or computer.

A good competitor is GoodSync by Siber Systems which I have been using for about 10 years with no issues. They also have Mac, Android and Linux versions. I have used the Android version for about 6 years but not the Mac or Linux versions.

GoodSync has a free version with quantity of files limitations after 30 days. They charge $30 for their Pro version for the first computer plus $10 for each additional computer. They do not charge for additional USB devices. They also have a USB based version for $40 which can be used on 1 USB device with any number of computers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version