ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Sync Laptop & Desktop

<< < (5/9) > >>

keithy397:
That's the kind of scenario I suggested Allway Sync for. You can choose which files and folders to sync, and in which direction. But it's a manual process, as opposed to the automatic sync with files and folders that are kept in Dropbox.
-dr_andus
--- End quote ---
I did download Allwaysync from your link the other night, thanks btw.  I don't mind manually synching so I'll give it a go tonight.

In general, for the use of cloud sync clients like Dropbox, OneDrive, and their ilk, it is assumed that you will use the files in place.  Which is why I like Cubby.  You can turn any folder into a cubby, and have it in place where ever it is on that machine.  It does cost a bit more for a bit less space than the competitors.  But I've found it the one that I use- even though I have 1TB on OneDrive.
-wraith808
--- End quote ---
As with Allwaysync, I'll give Cubby a run tonight too, thanks.

dr_andus:
P.S. And it's also for situations when you want to force the direction of the sync, i.e. when you want to ignore certain changes for certain files or folders on one machine and overwrite them with older versions from the other machine.
-dr_andus (February 02, 2016, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just to clarify when this might be useful. Image you have the same already synced copy of a database file on the desktop and on a laptop. Then you do a lot of changes on the laptop to that file.

Then you reopen the same database application later on the desktop, to check something without changing anything. However, even that would have modified the file, as lots of database type apps might modify a file when you just open it to look at it.

Some cloud services might pick the desktop version as the latest version and overwrite the laptop version that has the important changes. Allway Sync allows you to review the files and force the sync in the direction in which you want it to happen, not which file was changed last.

keithy397:
P.S. And it's also for situations when you want to force the direction of the sync, i.e. when you want to ignore certain changes for certain files or folders on one machine and overwrite them with older versions from the other machine.
-dr_andus (February 02, 2016, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just to clarify when this might be useful. Image you have the same already synced copy of a database file on the desktop and on a laptop. Then you do a lot of changes on the laptop to that file.

Then you reopen the same database application later on the desktop, to check something without changing anything. However, even that would have modified the file, as lots of database type apps might modify a file when you just open it to look at it.

Some cloud services might pick the desktop version as the latest version and overwrite the laptop version that has the important changes. Allway Sync allows you to review the files and force the sync in the direction in which you want it to happen, not which file was changed last.
-dr_andus (February 03, 2016, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
At least this way then you're always in control.  I don't like the idea of automatic updates of any kind - I always like to see what's being changed or installed etc.

Just one question, can you sync both ways?

dr_andus:
-keithy397 (February 03, 2016, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, of course, that's the default behaviour. The most up-to-date versions of files get synced across both directions, unless you specifically exclude certain files or force a specific direction (less up-to-date file to overwrite more up-to-date file).

First press "Analyze", then review all the changed files, make your changes, then sync. There is a helpful section that picks up any unusual file changes that require special attention.

keithy397:
-keithy397 (February 03, 2016, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, of course, that's the default behaviour. The most up-to-date versions of files get synced across both directions, unless you specifically exclude certain files or force a specific direction (less up-to-date file to overwrite more up-to-date file).

First press "Analyze", then review all the changed files, make your changes, then sync. There is a helpful section that picks up any unusual file changes that require special attention.
-dr_andus (February 03, 2016, 04:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Cool!  Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version