ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Sync Laptop & Desktop

<< < (4/9) > >>

keithy397:
Unless there's a way the Dropbox files on any device (copies of originals in cloud) will change when you change the originals?
-keithy397 (February 03, 2016, 04:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

that's the idea of Dropbox: it updates all devices based on the most recent modified version of file.
AFAIK you can backup/sync up to 2GB with the free Dropbox.
It also keeps older versions of your files, for a certain length of time at any rate (click the dropbox tray icon -- you can open the web interface from there and explore a bit).
-tomos (February 03, 2016, 05:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
So, I can maybe understand dropbox being linked/updated from the source file, but how does the target folder on the other device update.  Should I copy from the dropbox folder to the target folder?  Would that make the connection?

tomos:
^ Have you installed dropbox on both machines?

I'm not 100% clear what you mean by 'target folder' -- as I said above Dropbox will sync the contents of the chosen 'dropbox' folder from one machine to another.
You'll have to install it, and log in on both machines

keithy397:

I'm not 100% clear what you mean by 'target folder' -- as I said above Dropbox will sync the contents of the chosen 'dropbox' folder from one machine to another.

-tomos (February 03, 2016, 09:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
I have Dropbox installed on both PC and Laptop and I'm signed in on both.

As the PC is new I want to transfer a lot of files from my Laptop across and then keep them synced - so I select some files from their parent folder on my Laptop and then drop them into the Dropbox folder (which I've previously named).  Now I know I can access these files from my PC (I saw them appear in the Dropbox folder on my PC) but I'd like them to be synced with a folder on the PC (target folder) but I'm not sure how to do that.

Or am I missing the point?  Are you supposed to use the files in the Dropbox folder?  Ideally I'd like to add or amend files in their parent folder (either on PC or Laptop) and they update in their parent folder on the other device???

Sorry for this confusion!!

wraith808:

-tomos (February 03, 2016, 09:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
I have Dropbox installed on both PC and Laptop and I'm signed in on both.

As the PC is new I want to transfer a lot of files from my Laptop across and then keep them synced - so I select some files from their parent folder on my Laptop and then drop them into the Dropbox folder (which I've previously named).  Now I know I can access these files from my PC (I saw them appear in the Dropbox folder on my PC) but I'd like them to be synced with a folder on the PC (target folder) but I'm not sure how to do that.

Or am I missing the point?  Are you supposed to use the files in the Dropbox folder?  Ideally I'd like to add or amend files in their parent folder (either on PC or Laptop) and they update in their parent folder on the other device???

Sorry for this confusion!!
-keithy397 (February 03, 2016, 10:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

In general, for the use of cloud sync clients like Dropbox, OneDrive, and their ilk, it is assumed that you will use the files in place.  Which is why I like Cubby.  You can turn any folder into a cubby, and have it in place where ever it is on that machine.  It does cost a bit more for a bit less space than the competitors.  But I've found it the one that I use- even though I have 1TB on OneDrive. 

dr_andus:
Ideally I'd like to add or amend files in their parent folder (either on PC or Laptop) and they update in their parent folder on the other device???
-keithy397 (February 03, 2016, 10:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's the kind of scenario I suggested Allway Sync for. You can choose which files and folders to sync, and in which direction. But it's a manual process, as opposed to the automatic sync with files and folders that are kept in Dropbox.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version