ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Brave: A new browser with built-in adblock and payment solutions

<< < (15/23) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
How does it do with tab reloads?

Vivaldi has started to slip for me in a few edge cases I don't have organized right now, but in general and it's becoming noticeable with Ludum Dare reviews, my machine isn't all that high end, (my brother may upgrade a chip or something for me next year), so just having stuff in diff browsers minimizes the damage.

My third is currently Chrome, which I am certainly no fan of, it just happens to be a thing. So I'm not interested right noew in all these payment widgets, but a (another?) Chome-esque engine with ... decent attempts at ad protection, is worth a look.

Bonus if there's an extension for a horozontal menu! (PRob is for Chrome but it's only third).
And then ... Tab reload. Firefox does a passable job with it. I haven't found the setting for it in Vivaldi yet. (Anyone know if there is one?) So besides my mediocre comp, LD games can sometimes have some coding errors, most of them innocent, that can just stall out the browser. Then I'd lose 20+ tabs!

Deozaan:
What do you mean by tab reloads? If you mean recovering tabs after an unexpected closing/crash of the browser, then I haven't had a problem with it. Then again, I also don't often have things unexpectedly close/crash.

One thing Vivaldi has the option for, and I believe Firefox as well, is the idea of "lazy loading" tabs. That is, when opening the browser, it will restore all your tabs, but it won't actually load them until the first time you switch to them. This saves RAM and CPU, etc. And I don't think Brave does this. It seems to just load all the tabs as soon as possible.

wraith808:
One thing Vivaldi has the option for, and I believe Firefox as well, is the idea of "lazy loading" tabs. That is, when opening the browser, it will restore all your tabs, but it won't actually load them until the first time you switch to them. This saves RAM and CPU, etc. And I don't think Brave does this. It seems to just load all the tabs as soon as possible.
-Deozaan (October 26, 2019, 05:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've noticed several times when recovering a session after a reboot, the tabs will have the loading icon until I explicitly click on them.

Deozaan:
-Deozaan (October 26, 2019, 05:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've noticed several times when recovering a session after a reboot, the tabs will have the loading icon until I explicitly click on them.
-wraith808 (October 26, 2019, 09:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was pretty sure Brave didn't do that, but after specifically paying attention to it while testing, I see you are right. I wonder how long Brave has been doing that. :D

wraith808:
Who knows... I see new features appearing all the time.  Nothing yet that I don't like, thankfully

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version