ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Brave: A new browser with built-in adblock and payment solutions

<< < (6/23) > >>

kyrathaba:
I'm with Edvard and Deozaan. I REALLY like Brave.

Brave: A new browser with built-in adblock and payment solutions

Deozaan:
I'm with Edvard and Deozaan. I REALLY like Brave.
-kyrathaba (June 08, 2018, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Whoa there! I wouldn't say I REALLY like Brave. I like the idea(s) behind it, but I don't feel it is well enough developed yet to fully make the switch. I primarily use Vivaldi on my PC these days. But I do use Brave as my primary browser on Android.

And I get the feeling that Edvard isn't too impressed with Brave, either:

I've been using Brave for a while now, as it is VERY fast and does adblocking very well.  I agree it has some glitches that I'd rather not deal with.

[...]

Well, after putting it all on one page, I think I'm done.  Vivaldi is looking better lately...-Edvard (February 12, 2018, 12:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Edvard:
And I get the feeling that Edvard isn't too impressed with Brave, either:
...-Deozaan (June 08, 2018, 01:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Heh, after all that and I'm still using Brave as my main browser.  Little things get fixed here and there, let's see what works now:

- Can't edit the default page shortcuts.  There are 'x's to delete them, but it doesn't do anything.  You click it, and a dialog comes up that says "Thumbnail removed" but it's still there.  Some discussion on the Brave forum about it, and it's apparently on the list as something that needs to be fixed.-Edvard (February 12, 2018, 12:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
Those have been replaced by "Top Sites" tiles.  Still not as useful as say, Opera or Vivaldi's bookmark tiles on the new tab page, but at least you can remove them now. The dialog when you remove is sort of clunky.  You hit the 'X' on the tile, the tile goes away, then Brave tells you it has been deleted, but you can Undo, Remove All, or X to dismiss the notification.  It's a little jarring because it's a departure from the standard "Are you sure you want to delete that" dialog, but eh...

- No 'History' item in the settings dialogs (that I could find, anyway).  I have to enter "about:history" in the address bar.
- Embedded YouTube videos can't be full-screened.  The video enlarges but the window stays the same size.  Very curious.
- Sometimes (maybe once or twice a week) it "loses" CSS; I hit the 'back' button and suddenly I'm in 1994 with no font colors.
--- End quote ---
All these have been fixed as far as I can tell.  At least I haven't had the "missing CSS" thing happen for awhile now.

- Sometimes I can't input text anywhere; the address bar, forum posting, information form filling, nothing.  I have to restart the browser.
--- End quote ---
This still happens from time to time, but it may be my Desktop Environment (running Xfce on Debian 'Testing'), because I've noticed it happening with other windows every now and then, but not even half as many times as with Brave.  I figured out all it takes is Minimizing and Restoring the window instead of restarting the browser.  Maybe it's time to try out a new DE...

Well, after putting it all on one page, I think I'm done.  Vivaldi is looking better lately...
--- End quote ---
I still use Vivaldi occasionally, but it's still just as gawd-awful slow to start up as the first time I tried it.  Just for giggles, I tried timing all the browsers I have installed.  Firefox is the slowest to start at ~16 seconds from click to full window showing.  Vivaldi is half that; 8 seconds.  Chromium takes ~6 seconds, and Brave is ~2 seconds.

So all in all, I am happier with Brave, and it's still the main browser on my phone.  My wife and I have very old and cheap smartphones, and all the browsers we tried would crash on half the sites because of it.  Brave never crashes on our phones.  Ever.  *slow clap*

allen:
Brave has really come a long way since its early days, it's sufficient (if elegant and understated). Vivaldi is a better fit for me, but that's me.

I kind of roll my eyes at their creator payment system, I don't think it'll go anywhere but it's a nice idea.

As someone who works in digital marketing/advertising, I'm torn between the appeal of anonymity and just having everything out there so I can observe the marketing/remarking. One thing that's really interesting to me is that the comfort that comes from running a browser that claims first class tracker blocking really creates a false reassurance. The good it serves is shutting down some truly bad-agents -- but it hardly slows down the really big agents. First-party data is still being tracked, that data is still being shared with big data brokers, and then being-reshared with other really big agents.

You can still search for a place in Liberia on Google, land on Air BNB, be served ads for Liberia BNBs on Facebook and then served ads elsewhere for the same content... Truly hiding requires a ton of inconvenience - VPN, kill cookies... ya'll know the drill.

Anyway, I've been running a little experiment lately, running Chrome/Vivaldi/Brave in tandem and recording my web experience.

Sorry for rambling. All I really wanted to say was first time I tried Brave, it was terrible. It's pretty good, now. I'd take it over Safari, IE or Firefox and it has potential to compete with vivaldi for casual browsing. As a developer, Chrome/Vivaldi are necessary.

wraith808:
As someone who works in digital marketing/advertising, I'm torn between the appeal of anonymity and just having everything out there so I can observe the marketing/remarking. One thing that's really interesting to me is that the comfort that comes from running a browser that claims first class tracker blocking really creates a false reassurance. The good it serves is shutting down some truly bad-agents -- but it hardly slows down the really big agents. First-party data is still being tracked, that data is still being shared with big data brokers, and then being-reshared with other really big agents.
-allen (June 13, 2018, 11:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is why I've stopped worrying and learned to tolerate (if not love) the bomb.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version