ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Brave: A new browser with built-in adblock and payment solutions

<< < (4/23) > >>

f0dder:
A browser whose main two selling points are things that are better handled as addons, and a business model that's doomed to fail?

Nah.

Innuendo:
Realistically, the Ads aren't in-and-of-themselves even the issue. it's the poorly written backend (tracking and etc.) code that lags page load and turns the user experience into total shit.-Stoic Joker (February 02, 2016, 06:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Let us also not forget the fact that ad servers are a very real attack vector for malware.

TaoPhoenix:

"I personally couldn't care less if they put 1,000 ads on a page, as long as they don't slow my roll."

I found a new wrinkle this week.

On YouTube, pre-loaded non-skippable-until-x-seconds ad, "Annotations", that you have to click the gear to turn off, the "ad ad" that needs an x-close, and the Closer ad.

THAT slows down my roll ! :(

Stoic Joker:
Realistically, the Ads aren't in-and-of-themselves even the issue. it's the poorly written backend (tracking and etc.) code that lags page load and turns the user experience into total shit.-Stoic Joker (February 02, 2016, 06:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Let us also not forget the fact that ad servers are a very real attack vector for malware.

-Innuendo (February 03, 2016, 09:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Quite true, but trying to get the eyeball craving marketing types to stop being greedy assholes is just not a realistic goal...So I'm compartmentalizing this into something that could possibly actually be solved amicably.

"I personally couldn't care less if they put 1,000 ads on a page, as long as they don't slow my roll."
-Stoic Joker (February 02, 2016, 06:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I found a new wrinkle this week.

On YouTube, pre-loaded non-skippable-until-x-seconds ad, "Annotations", that you have to click the gear to turn off, the "ad ad" that needs an x-close, and the Closer ad.

THAT slows down my roll ! :(
-TaoPhoenix (February 04, 2016, 12:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Mine too, but that's an escalated reaction or their part to the popularity of ad blockers. This is why allowing the rest of the page to be used reliably would prevent them from "needing" to infringe into the content space to get their ads viewed.

Deozaan:
It has been a year and I've recently given the Brave browser a try again.

On Android it is based on Chrome browser. As such it is fully featured and works well. I like it. Much better than that stupid Link Bubble thing they were using a while ago (which still exists, but is no longer considered Brave proper).

On Windows it is based on I don't know what. Safari? It definitely looks and feels like iTunes/Apple. Clean, minimal, and with the address bar centered in the title bar area (like track info in iTunes). In fact I'm pretty sure I went to a download page for some software--one of those new-fangled ones that auto-detects your OS and directs you to the appropriate link for your OS--and it recommended the MacOS version of their software. It still seems a bit bare bones, but it also seems fast and works well. I'm definitely not using it as my primary (or secondary) browser yet, but for those of you who looked into this a year ago and promptly forgot about it, it may be worth looking into again.

I'm growing increasingly wary of all the tracking going on with everything I do, so I've been putting out "feelers" for alternatives to the many Google products I use all the time. Brave may become a nice alternative. I'm not sure it's there yet, but maybe with time it will be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version