ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Brave: A new browser with built-in adblock and payment solutions

<< < (5/23) > >>

Deozaan:
It's been almost another year and since I last posted here and while I did use Brave as my primary browser for a while, I've mostly moved on from Brave to Vivaldi, at least on desktop. But I still use Brave as my default browser on Android.

But anyway the reason I came back to resurrect this old thread is to mention the progress Brave has made in terms of payments. They've since created their own ERC20 token on the Ethereum blockchain, called Basic Attention Token (BAT). If you opt-in to their payment systems, you can top up your wallet on a monthly basis and any website you visit will automatically get paid a certain amount based on how often/long you visit each site, etc.

Brave: A new browser with built-in adblock and payment solutions

Right now to encourage adoption, Brave are currently giving away ~$1,000,000 worth of BAT--about $5 worth to every person who decides to try it out. Note that you can't just go and claim the BAT and keep it for yourself or sell it. Once it is claimed to your Brave wallet, it automatically will be earmarked to pay websites you visit. More details about the BAT giveaway can be found here:

https://brave.com/million

So give it a try, and be sure to visit DonationCoder in Brave after you've enabled payments so some of the funds can be sent to supporting this wonderful site. :Thmbsup:

mouser: If you want to be able to claim the funds earmarked for this site, you need to verify yourself/this site with BAT, here: https://publishers.basicattentiontoken.org/

IainB:
The novel and seemingly ideological business model enforced by Brave apparently attempts to somehow magically circumvent fundamental economic principles and human nature. That could arguably be doomed to probable failure, as mentioned above:
EDIT 2018-02-13 (I had meant to insert this quote)
A browser whose main two selling points are things that are better handled as addons, and a business model that's doomed to fail?
Nah.
-f0dder (February 02, 2016, 02:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't like being forced/coerced to do anything, especially by a sodding browser. I have tried out Brave, and abandoned it, as - if the above was not bad enough - the user is not enabled to be in control of the browser to the same extent as (say) with Slimjet.

Edvard:
I've been using Brave for a while now, as it is VERY fast and does adblocking very well.  I agree it has some glitches that I'd rather not deal with.

- Can't edit the default page shortcuts.  There are 'x's to delete them, but it doesn't do anything.  You click it, and a dialog comes up that says "Thumbnail removed" but it's still there.  Some discussion on the Brave forum about it, and it's apparently on the list as something that needs to be fixed.
- No 'History' item in the settings dialogs (that I could find, anyway).  I have to enter "about:history" in the address bar.
- Embedded YouTube videos can't be full-screened.  The video enlarges but the window stays the same size.  Very curious.
- Sometimes (maybe once or twice a week) it "loses" CSS; I hit the 'back' button and suddenly I'm in 1994 with no font colors.
- Sometimes I can't input text anywhere; the address bar, forum posting, information form filling, nothing.  I have to restart the browser.

Well, after putting it all on one page, I think I'm done.  Vivaldi is looking better lately...

Edvard:
Spoke too soon.  I had forgotten that Vivaldi and Opera both have this annoying thing where they don't play embedded Soundcloud clips and don't play some animated .gif pictures.  Some, not all.  Despite it's quirks, Brave never had that problem.

What next, Chromium again?

IainB:
...What next, Chromium again?
-Edvard (February 13, 2018, 09:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, That's how I ended up as well. But with Slimjet, which is a Chrome-based browser with some useful differences.
I did return to Chrome Canary/64-bit (as a trial), and then Chromium (as a trial), but a trial of Slimjet showed that it seems to better meet my peculiar requirements.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version