ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Give yourself at least another 26 unique hotkey combos with Microsoft's remapkey

(1/3) > >>

IainB:
Give yourself at least another 26 unique hotkey combos with Microsoft's remapkey (or other key remapping tool).

I was prompted to mention this upon reading this:
is it easy to change the hotkey combination?
-Curt (January 14, 2016, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

what do you want to change it to?

[ Invalid Attachment ]

^This^ is the bit you need to change -- I always forget (I *think Ctrl='^'), and need to look up the AHK site.
I know from the screenshot that:
# = Winkey
and that's it....

so,
only half a solution -- or maybe just a quarter ;-)
-tomos (January 14, 2016, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

What sort of use would a ridiculous hotkey combo LeftShift+RightShift+I be?
For me, it is very useful, as I use that as an AHK hotkey to launch InfoSelect, and I use the combo LeftShift+RightShift+V to launch the VLC media player. The LeftShift+RightShift combo keys are very handy, as no-one in their right mind would generally have a use for that combo, so they are "all yours".

It's not that I have a huge hand span or anything. I select the LeftShift+RightShift keys with the first two fingers of my left hand, and the next character with right or left hand fingers, depending on where the key is.

I can do that by the simple expedient of remapping the RightShift key to the CapsLock key. Of course, if you have a use for the latter key, then another key would be required. The objective would be to give yourself a ridiculous pair of keys close together.

The only caveat I would have is that the Win10 updates seem to set the keyboard mappings back to the standard default - and they also restore file associations to the standard default too. Updates to earlier Windows OS versions didn't used to do those things.
Hope this tip helps or is of use to someone. It's been very useful to me.

tomos:
Great idea :up:
will have to check out MS's remapkey

Nod5:
It's not that I have a huge hand span or anything. I select the LeftShift+RightShift keys with the first two fingers of my left hand ... -IainB (January 16, 2016, 05:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Judging from the second sentence you may have a much more huge hand than you think you have. Or typo.  :D

4wd:
It's not that I have a huge hand span or anything. I select the LeftShift+RightShift keys with the first two fingers of my left hand ... -IainB (January 16, 2016, 05:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Judging from the second sentence you may have a much more huge hand than you think you have. Or typo.  :D
-Nod5 (January 17, 2016, 01:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

He qualifies that sentence in the next paragraph, remapping Right-Shift to Capslock, thus the two keys are next to each other.

MilesAhead:
Plus with ahk you can do funky stuff with Hotstrings.  I think the only one I have used it for is a rare case when I want to select all text and copy it to clipboard, then call another program.  In this case I hit qq<tab> where the tab key is designated as the key to terminate hotstring sequences.  Another program is not likely to use it as an accelerator sequence.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version