ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Give yourself at least another 26 unique hotkey combos with Microsoft's remapkey

<< < (3/3)

IainB:
@mwb1100: Well, it's certainly very handy, and dead simple too. It's an ergonomic efficiency and effectiveness improvement really.

It's the only complex combo that I could construct where the key's function that you disable (CapsLock) is effectively only partially disabled (i.e., there's no Lock now) and yet it retains its usefulness for the useful part of its original function (Shift), plus you have it already physically located right next to the other Shift key (LeftShift), thus permitting a new two-left-fingers combo.

The net result from an ergonomics perspective is that the function of the CapsLock key has effectively only been modified slightly, so it behaves as a typical user might otherwise expect it to, and there are no more ALL CAPS mistakes and the (still three) Shift keys can be used interchangeably as Shift keys from the keyboard and in AHK.
In AHK it makes no difference which one you use as a purely Shift function key, but you can specify precisely which one you need, as necessary:

* +    = SHIFT - could be either a LeftSHIFT or RightSHIFT key.
* <+ = LeftSHIFT - there is still just one of these on the keyboard.
* >+ = RightSHIFT - there are two of these on the keyboard now.
Examples of my experiences, so far, of using Shift or Left/RightShift AHK hotkey combos:

To launch proggies:

* <+>+c::   ; LeftShift+RightShift+C-  loads Calculator.
* <+>+d::   ;LeftShift+RightShift+D - loads Concise Oxford Dictionary. - places any selected text in Clipboard and opens Concise Oxford Dictionary with it.
* <+>+f::   ; LShift+RShift+F - loads Firefox (does not work as SHIFT sensing brings up disable add-ons screen).
* <+>+e::   ;LeftShift+RightShift+E - loads Search Everything.
* <+>+`::     ; LeftShift+RightShift+`  - loads FARR (Tilde on its own brings up FARR if it is already running.
* <+>+g::   ; LeftShift+RightShift+G - loads GetRight.
* <+>+i::   ; LeftShift+RightShift+I - loads InfoSelect.
* <+>+n::   ; LeftShift+RightShift+n - loads Notepad (EditPad Lite 7) with 3 files, ready for editing.
To launch AHK utilities:

* >+#H:: ; RightSHIFT+Win+H - Display panel of Windows system hotkeys.
* >+#O:: ; RightSHIFT+Win+O - Display panel of OneNote hotkeys per OneNote Help.
* <+^d::  ; LeftShift+Ctrl+d - outputs current date+time.
* <+^H::   ; LeftShift+Ctrl+h - displays Autohotkey Help file.
* <+^r::   ; LeftShift+Ctrl+R - Reloads/Restarts Autohotkey main script.

cranioscopical:
It's the only complex combo that I could construct where the key's function that you disable (CapsLock) is effectively only partially disabled (i.e., there's no Lock now) and yet it retains its usefulness for the useful part of its original function (Shift), plus you have it already physically located right next to the other Shift key (LeftShift), thus permitting a new two-left-fingers combo.
-IainB (January 19, 2016, 07:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
I admire your thinking! Thanks for sharing this.

IainB:
Just thought to mention/confirm in this thread that in Win10-64 (Standard and Pro), major Windows Updates sometimes expunge the Registry settings made by remapkey.exe, restoring the keys to the relevant system defaults. So, the user needs to re-run remapkey.exe and repeat the settings changes all over again, then reboot the PC.

This is no trouble for me as I only remap the CapsLock key as described above, and I also remap the RightCtrl key (which one usually tends to have little or no use for) to Del - if the keyboard in question does not already have a delete key near that position, as increasingly seems to be the case with laptop keyboards (they tend to have the Del key in the Numpad.

Cross-posted from: Re: Mini-review of 1-hour software by Skrommel: CAPshift v1.7 and ShiftOff
Note that Microsoft's remapkey.exe can still be downloaded from here: remapkey.exe (click the link).
The contents of the file cannot be displayed. Just press the "Download" button when you get to the link, and it downloads with that file name.
-IainB (September 12, 2017, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version