ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Forbes forces users to disable ad blockers, promptly serves malware.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Deozaan:
Here's another reason why you should never ever ever ever disable your adblocker:

VPAID is basically pure evil. It's a video ad, but its implementation that I'm seeing across all networks that use it (that includes Google and others) is atrocious. It's shocking. It's rude. It's plain disrespectful.

A single ad that shows a single video at a time will generate thousands of HTTP requests and many megabytes of traffic. And in the case I show here, the ad isn't even animated, or showing video! I mean... what in the actual fuck? [...]

By the time I finished writing this message, this single ad generated 9002 requests and caused 39MB of data transfer. I left it on for 30 min, and the requests never stopped coming-https://plus.google.com/+ArtemRussakovskii/posts/VgrLdYcoifr
--- End quote ---

Read more at the link:

https://plus.google.com/+ArtemRussakovskii/posts/VgrLdYcoifr

wraith808:
If they'd go back to 'dumb ads' then I think that they wouldn't have this problem.  Images... and pay the artist/photographer.  Like magazine ads.  But... progress, right?

Renegade:
IMPORTANT: uBlock Origin is completely unrelated to the site "ublock.org".
--- End quote ---

What are people here using?

Renegade:
If they'd go back to 'dumb ads' then I think that they wouldn't have this problem.  Images... and pay the artist/photographer.  Like magazine ads.  But... progress, right?
-wraith808 (January 11, 2016, 10:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep.

The question is progress towards what?

You can still use cookies yourself, or if the ad platform supports it.

People have whined in the past about it being "cheap" or "dirty" to use ad blockers because of "think of the web sitez" and stuff. I didn't buy it then, and I most certainly don't buy it now. Ads are simply obnoxious attack vectors.

If someone has a site that is worthwhile, they need a Bitcoin donation address. I checked my wallet, and all of my most recent transactions are donations for people/web sites.

I didn't donate to Mozilla/Firefox because they wanted my email address and a truckload of information. I had bitcoins in hand ready to give to them... but they f**ked it up by asking for way too much information and making it mandatory. F**k Mozilla. I gave to someone else.

wraith808:
IMPORTANT: uBlock Origin is completely unrelated to the site "ublock.org".
--- End quote ---

What are people here using?
-Renegade (January 11, 2016, 10:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are two version from the cluster that happened with the original maintainer of ublock.  Ublock Origin is the one from Gorhil- the original maintainer.  And that statement about not being associate is true, because ublock (non-origin) is the one from the person that took it over.  I use uBlock non-origin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version