ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking at an android tablet

<< < (2/4) > >>

wraith808:
It runs vanilla Android and not Samsung's customized crap.
-Deozaan (January 11, 2016, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

My samsung (Nook) doesn't seem to have anything customized.  It has a few widgets that you can choose to install, and apps... but the interface is the same as far as I know.  Do you know what this 'customized crap' entails?

Deozaan:
It runs vanilla Android and not Samsung's customized crap.
-Deozaan (January 11, 2016, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

My samsung (Nook) doesn't seem to have anything customized.  It has a few widgets that you can choose to install, and apps... but the interface is the same as far as I know.  Do you know what this 'customized crap' entails?
-wraith808 (January 11, 2016, 03:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

You got me on that one. I assumed Samsung came with customized crap but I can't say for sure that it does. I've always owned vanilla Android devices (G1, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7), but just about every other Android device I've seen other people using has customized crap which is why I've always made sure my devices run vanilla Android.

xtabber:
Samsung Tab (Nook) is just a Tab 4 with some Barnes & Noble apps added.  It runs the Samsung Touchwiz UI over Android 4.4 (Kit Kat).  It's a low end tablet with a low res screen (1280 X 800), a slow processor and an older version of Android, which is what you'd expect for $139, which is what it sells for now at B&N.

The Nexus 9 is a high end table with a fast processor and a superb high res display (2048x1536 - same as the iPad Air). But the most important thing is that it currently runs Android 6 (Marshmallow) and as a Nexus device, will be always be updated to the latest Android version, at least for the projected life of the product (2-3 years for most Nexus devices).  Whether it's worth the price is another matter.  One thing to be aware of about all Nexus devices is that they do not have expandable memory (micro-SD) by design, although all the ones I have (7, 10 and 6P) support OTG through the USB port, so you can move data on and off relatively rapidly.

wraith808:
Samsung Tab (Nook) is just a Tab 4 with some Barnes & Noble apps added.  It runs the Samsung Touchwiz UI over Android 4.4 (Kit Kat).  It's a low end tablet with a low res screen (1280 X 800), a slow processor and an older version of Android, which is what you'd expect for $139, which is what it sells for now at B&N.
-xtabber (January 11, 2016, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are different galaxy tablets.  I was talking about the one that is the equivalent of the Tab E.

http://nook.barnesandnoble.com/u/samsung-galaxy-tab-e-nook-tablet/379004465

As far as running something on top of KitKat, that's what I'm trying to discern.  Everything that they show in those UI pictures is a widget.  I've removed all of those, and my setup looks the same as a vanilla android device.  Now I'm not android saavy, so there might be something else I need to look at.  But the basic control panel stuff looks just like the images I've seen of others on my current tablet, which is the Tab 4.  I even look at the images of touchwiz on the stock tab devices, and that's not what my device looks like.  But given that I'm not an android user, perhaps I'm missing something that differentiates it.  As soon as I can figure out how to take a screenshot, I'll upload something :)

And that bit about the lack of expandability basically lets me know that I'd not want it.  Thanks!

On the subject of tablets, the Dell also looks like an intriguing choice.  I just want something to read on, and to experiment a bit more on.  But with that caveat, maybe it's better if I go with a different Android device.  Hmm... thanks for the food for thought!

4wd:
Chuwi tablets turn up on OzBargain (search link) fairly regularly, you can peruse the comments there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version