ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's the best registry cleaner? Ask Leo says: none

<< < (21/25) > >>

Darwin:
You can perfectly go through the city without being hit by a car. Leaving the house doesn't imply death.
-Tuxman (January 31, 2010, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Of course! But you can also install software on your computer without polluting your registry. This is an English language thing, I think. There is a saying in English that if you want to avoid the negative consequences of some action you should simply avoid that action altogether. For example, if you don't want to die in a plane crash, don't fly! To make some other examples: if you want to avoid slipping and hurting yourself in the shower, don't shower! Don't want to choke on a chicken bone? Don't eat chicken. Scared about a paper cut? Avoid paper.

I suppose, really, I read your comment in haste and interpreted it in light of the English saying described above. So I read it like this: ANYTHING we do on a Windows computer is going to affect, and potentially pollute, the registry. Therefore, if you want to avoid polluting your registry you shouldn't install any software on your computer. Now I realize that you probably meant it in the way that I rephrased it: just be careful about what you install on your system.

EDIT: corrected some atrocious grammatical errors introduced in my last edit!

Tuxman:
just be careful about what you install on your system.-Darwin (January 31, 2010, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
Right.

Registry cleaners are just like every other kind of "tuning software": Breaking things, basically. They require a certain knowledge of system internals (Sysinternals, lol), but anyone with such a knowledge does not actually need a tool for that.

J-Mac:

-Darwin (January 31, 2010, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you don’t want to make atrocious grammatical errors, don’t post!!   8)   ;)   :)

Jim

Darwin:

-Darwin (January 31, 2010, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you don’t want to make atrocious grammatical errors, don’t post!!   8)   ;)   :)

Jim
-J-Mac (January 31, 2010, 02:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Damn! I walked that into one, I didn't?

Curt:
http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/test-driving-free-scan-tune-up-suites/

Langa is telling what most of us already know, but without the exaggerations...

Test-driving ‘free scan’ tune-up suites

By Fred Langa on August 8, 2012 in Top Story   

(...)  Just as with the previously-discussed tools, when I drilled down to examine these problems, some (such as junk files) were real, with most of the rest either exaggerated or simply wrong. (...) WinZip System Utilities Suite (and the other scanners discussed below) seems to deliberately inflate the seriousness of some items — for example, calling its own website’s harmless cookies “privacy traces.” (...)

(...) ... the software I test-drove for this article clearly seems aimed at inexperienced users who are more likely to purchase “repairs” when confronted with frightening reports of critical and numerous system problems.

Those, however, are relatively minor transgressions compared to reporting serious problems where none exist, such as flagging fully up-to-date drivers as “ancient.”

All of this seems designed to make your PC appear to be in dire need of paid-for repairs, when in fact there appear to be no real operational problems.

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/test-driving-free-scan-tune-up-suites/-windowssecrets
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version