ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's the best registry cleaner? Ask Leo says: none

<< < (18/25) > >>

J-Mac:
I use JV16 quite a bit for much the same reason J-Mac described.  It also has some nice functions related to file and disk management.  I don't worry too much about trashing the registry because:

I've found it's very unlikely that JV16 will cause any damage if the "Fix" option is selected instead of the "Delete" option.

JV16 will optionally backup all changes it makes.-mrainey (December 31, 2009, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

And the backup is on by default - you would have to go into settings and turn it off manually. And believe it or not I have seen forum posts by users who have done exactly that and then did an "Oops"! Hard to believe... What did they think they were saving?

I use ERUNT to back up the registry every day, first thing in the morning.  Takes thirty seconds.-mrainey (December 31, 2009, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have always used ERUNT also - Department of Redundancy Department!! - but I haven't yet checked to see if it is compatible with Windows 7. Do you know, mrainey?

I create a backup image weekly using BootIt NG.  Takes twenty minutes.-mrainey (December 31, 2009, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I do the same but with Acronis 2009.   :)

Thanks!

Jim

mrainey:
I have always used ERUNT also - Department of Redundancy Department!! - but I haven't yet checked to see if it is compatible with Windows 7. Do you know, mrainey?
--- End quote ---

Per the developer:

"ERUNT and NTREGOPT in their current versions 1.1j are still compatible with Windows 7, but as in Vista, they will only work correctly if you turn off User Account Control in Windows' Control Panel (move the slider to the lowest position).

Also, a problem has been discovered which on many systems causes ERDNT and NTREGOPT to display a "RegSaveKey: 3" error when optimizing / restoring the BCD00000000 hive. The cause is that after a clean install of Windows 7, the BCD part of the registry which contains Windows' boot configuration data resides on a hidden system partition with no drive letter assigned in Explorer. You can simply ignore this error and continue, or as a workaround, open Disk Managemant in Control Panel and right-click on the partition displayed as "System Reserved" to assign a drive letter.

Future versions of ERUNT and NTREGOPT will of course have these issues fixed. Keep an eye on my homepage for updates."

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/faq.htm

f0dder:
Turn off UAC? How lame :-s

Won't work if you run them with admin privs?

Bamse:
Must suck to be a spammer and then not be able to insert a link properly.

TucknDar:
Must suck to be a spammer and then not be able to insert a link properly.
-Bamse (January 16, 2010, 12:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version