ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's the best registry cleaner? Ask Leo says: none

<< < (17/25) > >>

Curt:
Curiosity killed the blacksmith's cat, and registry cleaners killed both my Win 2000 and my XP! Or maybe I should be fair and admit that I me myself did it  using reg' cleaners. And now I have been given a full life time license for Glary Utilities Pro. Hmm... I am not sure that I dare to even install it. What do 'you' think of Glary Utilities Pro, please?
 :tellme:

cmpm:
Glary has a decent startup manager and junk file cleaner.
It will do a backup for any function to undo changes.
Don't let it autostart, it will want to.

J-Mac:
@registercleaner:

jv16 Powertools is a very good all-around file maintenance utility. I use the 2009 version; I believe that the 2006 version was the last free one - I used it back when it was free and have continued to use it since it went commercial. The developer spent a good number of years developing Powertools and providing a fair amount of support and I felt it was only fair to compensate him when he decided to make it his full-time job.

jv16 Powertools 2006 was mature by then and a very good utility. The only thing I don't know is up to what version of Windows it supports. I don't think I would even attempt to try it on Vista or Windows 7. jv16 Powertools is IMO one of the safest such tools available; its default settings have it make a full, restorable backup of your registry each time you run the registry cleaner. Also it does not automatically delete any registry keys unless you very specifically configure it to do so, and the settings dialog shows a strong warning NOT to set it that way. I cannot remember offhand whether or not Powertools creates a restore point each time; however I always create a restore point manually prior to performing any kind of registry cleaning or editing.

Now let me say that I don't believe that Windows needs to have the registry cleaned up on a regular basis, or even just because you think it might need one for the heck of it. I only use it when I install a program that for some reason turned out to be not compatible with my particular system and writes/changes a lot of registry settings. Many - most - programs do not remove or restore registry keys when they are uninstalled, and very occasionally that can cause some problems. If they are big problems I usually try to clean up after the program myself using the registry cleaner. If that doesn't help and there are no other widely suggested repairs, then I just reinstall the operating system. Of course I keep very extensive and frequent backups of all my data files and program settings.

Hope this helps!

Jim

f0dder:
Now let me say that I don't believe that Windows needs to have the registry cleaned up on a regular basis, or even just because you think it might need one for the heck of it.
-J-Mac (December 30, 2009, 10:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
:up: :up: :up:

mrainey:
I use JV16 quite a bit for much the same reason J-Mac described.  It also has some nice functions related to file and disk management.  I don't worry too much about trashing the registry because:

I've found it's very unlikely that JV16 will cause any damage if the "Fix" option is selected instead of the "Delete" option.

JV16 will optionally backup all changes it makes.

I use ERUNT to back up the registry every day, first thing in the morning.  Takes thirty seconds.

I create a backup image weekly using BootIt NG.  Takes twenty minutes.

No worries.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version