ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's the best registry cleaner? Ask Leo says: none

<< < (15/25) > >>

MilesAhead:
I think what we need is an automated gizmo to clone a mini-OS from the system partition, to a blank partition in like 10 minutes.  Then try your stuff out.  If it gets hosed, wipe and recreate it.  No messing with settings.  The program(which I have no intention of writing I must say) should do all that by analyzing what you've got on the "real" OS partition.

Reboot, install a bunch of junk, if it goes sour, reboot the "real" OS and rerun the mini-OS creation tool.

SKesselman:
I was just directed to, then helped immensely by Revo a few days ago when I had a nasty little problem with LetMeType. Revo Uninstaller was simple to use & very effective. But I will still take Carol & mouser's advice & install VirtualPC when I install Windows 7.

Cyberdiva, I has the same issue when asked if I wanted to delete certain registry keys.
So, I allowed it to delete the ones that obviously came from LetMeType & left the rest alone.
Haven't heard from that program since, so I'm fairly certain everything's OK.

MilesAhead:
The other quandry is when uninstalling if you get that "do you want to delete shared library x.dll? ... nothing is using it" query.. then you delete it and stuff is hosed mucho.

You'd think with all this database technology they could tell you what used to use it and when, and what will happen if you delete it.. instead of just the ref count = 0.

f0dder:
There is no real reason to clean your registry unless you are OCD about it or there is something in there that is seriously screwing up your system. Since the registry is in a database format doing thinks like cleaning, optimizing, shrinking, compressing or whatever fancy names these programs put on their functions will not gain you any speed-up at all when your OS accesses it.-Innuendo (July 06, 2009, 12:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hear ye, hear ye!

The registry is pretty darn efficient, binary searches and all. You do want to keep the hive files defragmented, but that's of course something those silly registry cleaners don't tend to do.

harminder:
I think <removed link> is best registry software that one can trust.

edit by jgpaiva: removed link to site with low reputability

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version