ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's the best registry cleaner? Ask Leo says: none

<< < (7/25) > >>

40hz:
This was my second attempt to repair my computers registry and thanks to your post, it’s FINALLY fixed. Perfect Optimizer worked on both my desktop and laptop computer. I will be recommending this best registry cleaner to all my friends .
-dangdang7262 (March 18, 2009, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's quite interesting dangdang7262...because nobody has mentioned Perfect Optimizer in this topic but you.

You also seem to have mentioned it in a few other places too:

http://m.digg.com/users/dangdang7262

cyberdiva:
I'm another very happy user of JV PowerTools Registry Cleaner.  I've used it for years, always in "Normal" (as opposed to "Aggressive") mode.  I've almost always told it to fix everything it has identified, and I've always had it make a backup.  Frankly, it has never removed anything I later found I needed (knock on wood  :) ).  The only other registry cleaner I've ever tried was the one in Advanced Windows Care Professional.  I used it only once.  I first ran JV PowerTools, and it found about 70 registry entries to fix or remove.  I then ran the registry cleaner in Advanced Windows Care Professional.  It found more than 900 additional entries.  That made me uncomfortable, not with JV PowerTools but with AWC.  My guess is that AWC was taking a much more aggressive approach, one that JV PowerTools offers but cautions about.  I've never found that approach necessary, and I prefer to err on the side of caution.   

Carol Haynes:
I sound like a broken watch but registry cleaners are pointless and dangerous. So you have a few out of date entries knocking about (so what) and you probably have hundreds of unused entries installed by common applications such as Windows and Office (to name only two) that deliberately insert empty registry keys that are only filled when you download a particular plugin or what ever.

Just because you don't perceive immediate problems doesn't mean they don't appear down the line. The main problem is that by the time you have a problem you don't even think to blame the registry cleaner.

I am not saying MS is perfect (I know they are not) but if you have a few minutes to spare try installing in VirtualPC Windows Vista or XP clean install (you don't need to activate it) and an MS Office product. Then run any of the registry cleaners and look at how many 'errors' exist on a newly installed system. Many cleaners will literally find hundreds.

I used to use JV Powertools but gave up after I noticed that in a multiboot system it was 'fixing' registry problems in automatic mode with files on the wrong partition (i.e. a different version of windows altogether).

40hz:
The free version of Glary Utilites ( http://www.glaryutilities.com ) has a very safe Registry cleaner (along with some other nice utilities) that gets the job done with minimal risk.

I sound like a broken watch but registry cleaners are pointless and dangerous. So you have a few out of date entries knocking about (so what) and you probably have hundreds of unused entries installed by common applications such as Windows and Office (to name only two) that deliberately insert empty registry keys that are only filled when you download a particular plugin or what ever.

Just because you don't perceive immediate problems doesn't mean they don't appear down the line. The main problem is that by the time you have a problem you don't even think to blame the registry cleaner.
-Carol Haynes (March 18, 2009, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Apparently individual mileage will vary with this sort of utility. I've used Fix-it Utilities and Glary Utilities for several years now, and I have yet (knock wood) to experience the problems Carol has run into. On more than one occasion, Fix-It has succeeded in correcting some annoying issues that would otherwise have required large amounts of research (or a system reinstall) to correct.

Of course, there's always some risk when you mess with the Registry - even if you know what you're doing. So it's probably best to match your tools to your level of knowledge. And when in doubt - don't. :)

Stoic Joker:

I am not saying MS is perfect (I know they are not) but if you have a few minutes to spare try installing in VirtualPC Windows Vista or XP clean install (you don't need to activate it) and an MS Office product. Then run any of the registry cleaners and look at how many 'errors' exist on a newly installed system. Many cleaners will literally find hundreds.

I used to use JV Powertools but gave up after I noticed that in a multiboot system it was 'fixing' registry problems in automatic mode with files on the wrong partition (i.e. a different version of windows altogether).
-Carol Haynes (March 18, 2009, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Um... Actually I think it's "broken Record"... :) ...But either way I'll signup to sit with you on the replayed point as I agree completely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version