ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's the best registry cleaner? Ask Leo says: none

<< < (11/25) > >>

PhilB66:
Phil: doesn't have google hits for any full sentences and URL doesn't have referrer links...
* f0dder shrugs.-f0dder (April 06, 2009, 04:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

winkyg + Digeus

* Phil shrugs too

cmpm:
$18 for each function?!!
Spam or like to waste money.
You get a nice big pretty box with each function!

For Every $18 function, there is more then one free one.

mahesh2k:
Sorry to bump old thread. But i've found old Jv16 ergistry cleaner (last freeware version) searches for more absolute registry keys than CCcleaner's Registry cleaner. I don't get it why such huge difference in finding out registry keys.

Innuendo:
Since you asked, jv16 is more aggressive with its search results and marks those that it thinks are most likely safe for deleting.

CCleaner is more conservative in its results and only marks those that it knows for a fact are safe for deleting.

There is no real reason to clean your registry unless you are OCD about it or there is something in there that is seriously screwing up your system. Since the registry is in a database format doing thinks like cleaning, optimizing, shrinking, compressing or whatever fancy names these programs put on their functions will not gain you any speed-up at all when your OS accesses it.

cyberdiva:
It's been MANY years since I used the free version of JVPowerTools, so I don't recall the specifics.  I do know that as far back as 2005, the paid version had two settings: Normal and Aggressive.  The number of items found was greatly increased if you used Aggressive.  I almost always used Normal.  The current version (JVPowerTools2009) has a four-point scale for you to select from. It goes from "Emphasize safety of the Registry Cleaner engine over both scan speed and the number of found errors" on one end to "Emphasize number of found errors and speed of the Registry Cleaner over safety and accuracy."  Of course, in all cases you are asked whether you want JV to make a backup of items before fixing them.  I always say yes, but fortunately I've never had to make use of the backup.

I can't comment on Innuendo's view that registry cleaners are usually unnecessary.  There do seem to be two camps about this.  All I know is that I'm forever installing and moving and renaming and uninstalling files/programs/whatever, and given how I use the computer, I tend to think that using a Registry Cleaner can be helpful.  But I don't know enough to be certain about this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version