ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Dan Gilmor on moving to Linux

<< < (5/8) > >>

40hz:
The funny thing is that we from "the Nix community" (not "Nux"...) never make similar experiences. Must be you.
-Tuxman (March 05, 2016, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yet another "in character" comeback from DC's one and only Tuxman.

P.S. Nice to know you speak for the entire "Nix not Nux" community. I like that royal "we."

I must have missed the memo announcing your recent elevation. My bad.  ;)

40hz:
@Innuendo

Steam for Linux has been available for quite awhile now. But just because Steam is available doesn't mean everything has been ported over to run on Linux by the authors of the software.
-40hz (March 05, 2016, 02:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Steam being on Linux means next to nothing without the games being there as it's only a distribution platform, and Gabe Newell knows this, and as such, is championing that effort.  I could be wrong, but I think that's what Innuendo was referring to- especially since he brought up Fallout 4 which is noticeably not on Linux.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/38i0x8/fallout_4_any_hope_for_us/

The fight doesn't stop with the distribution platform being there.  Gabe Newell still fights behind the scenes to bring parity.  But it's a hard fight.
-wraith808 (March 06, 2016, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

More like a losing battle IMO. With development costs being what they are today, I can't see too many programming shops that would be willing to spend that sort of money rolling their wares out to run native on Linux, even if they could. The industry leader always creates a gravity well it's difficult to escape from.

Tuxman:
-40hz (March 07, 2016, 01:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

As here on DC people are speaking of a homogenous "the community" instead of "individuals", I take the opportunity to speak as a part of that community too. If this feels wrong to you, I'm still the wrong addressee.

40hz:
-40hz (March 07, 2016, 01:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

As here on DC people are speaking of a homogenous "the community" instead of "individuals", I take the opportunity to speak as a part of that community too. If this feels wrong to you, I'm still the wrong addressee.
-Tuxman (March 07, 2016, 01:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

You lost me with that one. But I'm sure it was something really clever you just said. Cheers!

Tuxman:
Your ability to understand my comebacks is among the very few things I would never believe in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version