ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Here we go again! New Onenote online broken.

<< < (2/2)

dantheman:
Skydrive, Onedrive, call it whatever it is today - was never my first choice.
Slow to sync (for a long time) for one...
Anyway Dropbox is still very good and there are others like Copy (very fast and good too!).

@40hz, wonder if your friend had considered modifying backup folder as a plan "b" to protect his data in case Onedrive has a hick again?

40hz:
Skydrive, Onedrive, call it whatever it is today - was never my first choice.
Slow to sync (for a long time) for one...
Anyway Dropbox is still very good and there are others like Copy (very fast and good too!).

@40hz, wonder if your friend had considered modifying backup folder as a plan "b" to protect his data in case Onedrive has a hick again?
-dantheman (January 04, 2016, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I did a whole multi-tier backup plan for him in the wake. He now has a local backup to an external HD plus a remote backup through AT&T business services, plus his OneDrive account. I had to play a few scripting and scheduling games to keep everything in sync and not have OneDrive get into a conflict with his other remote service - or drag his PC to its knees in the process -  but it all worked out in the end.

In fairness, Microsoft (on all three occasions) was able to get everything restored to OneDrive. But it didn't leave him with warm fuzzies. And as is usually the case with Mocrosoft, they refused to get into how it happened, or if there was anything he could do to avoid repetitions.

The problem with OneDrive messing up on him is that it's his on the road file repository. Backup services are ok for what they are. But they don't lend themselves to situations where you need normal file access from a remote location and sync features.

Office 360 is an interesting and capable product (one they get the rest of the bugs worked out) for a specific class of business cases. But it's not the panacea (at least yet) that Microsoft is selling it as. There's been two occasions (so far) where he had to completely reinstall everything. Which made me laugh because that was how you used to "fix" problems you were having with your Apple Macintosh before OSX came out - just reinstall the OS, or trash your prefs and reinstall a buggy application. Even weirder (if you were a PC person) that would fix it about 99% of the time.

Dunno...the more things change, the more they all start looking familiar to me. I guess I've been around long enough that the technology is starting to loop back and I'm now on my second trip through. I keep looking for the coda, but I just seem to keep hitting a dal segno in this tech opera. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version