ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

YNAB moving to a subscription model

<< < (15/17) > >>

wraith808:
Oh yes... I was just saying that they had implemented it, not just on that thread.  And I'm not of a mood to register just to see the thread, so... :)

dr_andus:
I'm still dragging my feet on this one... As I'm not interested in a subscription-based model, I feel reluctant to invest time, money and effort into YNAB Classic at this point, considering that it's only supported until the end of 2016. I know it's likely to work for a while beyond that, but then if the iOS and Android apps would stop connecting one day, it would become frustrating.

So, I have started looking for alternatives. Has anyone here tried Moneydance? Is it a reasonable alternative to YNAB?

The other ones rated highly in the UK are AceMoney, BankTree, and Home Accountz.

P.S. Oh, I see Moneydance came up earlier in this thread. I guess I'll just have to go ahead and trial it. But any feedback on experience with Moneydance would be welcome.

40hz:
I'm still dragging my feet on this one... As I'm not interested in a subscription-based model, I feel reluctant to invest time, money and effort into YNAB Classic at this point, considering that it's only supported until the end of 2016. I know it's likely to work for a while beyond that, but then if the iOS and Android apps would stop connecting one day, it would become frustrating.

So, I have started looking for alternatives. Has anyone here tried Moneydance? Is it a reasonable alternative to YNAB?

The other ones rated highly in the UK are AceMoney, BankTree, and Home Accountz.

P.S. Oh, I see Moneydance came up earlier in this thread. I guess I'll just have to go ahead and trial it. But any feedback on experience with Moneydance would be welcome.
-dr_andus (April 04, 2016, 10:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm partial to GnuCash for standard home and very small business finances. I like it as much for what it doesn't try to do as what it actually does. It's not a budgeting method like YNAB is. It's more along the lines of Quicken Home and Business. But without a pile of "features" I don't need. I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to business software however. I like most financial programs to do one thing - but do it extremely well rather than try to be a Swiss Army knife. And because I have a background in finance and accounting I don't need (or want) much in the way of hand holding. So take the above for what it's worth because my criteria is probably different than that of the average user.

I used Money Dance for awhile. It did the job very nicely. Decent budget tracking capabilities. They'll give you a 100 transaction trial to see if it's for you. You could do a lot worse for $49. (Like buy Quicken.) ;)

IainB:
Even if it is just used for budgeting, one of the best accounting tools on the market - Microsoft Money Plus Sunset - would be extremely hard to beat, and the user can easily extended their use of the tool into accounting (personal or business), if/as and when they wanted, without having to fork out any money - since it is $FREE and Microsoft are still quietly supporting it in the Windows 10 OS, so it is likely to continue to be useful for a long time yet.
Refer: Microsoft Money Plus Sunset - Mini-Review
6.0 Why I think you should use this product:
For home or business users wanting to better manage their financial affairs and budgets, this software could be of enormous help.
-IainB (May 28, 2015, 06:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

dr_andus:
@40hz

Thanks for the feedback on Moneydance, I'll give it a try. I didn't know about GnuCash. It looks very interesting, though a bit too sophisticated for my current purposes.

@IainB

Thanks for the tip, I didn't realise MS Money was still an option. Does it have any mobile apps, like YNAB or Moneydance, to keep the budget etc. updated on the go via Dropbox?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version