ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

YNAB moving to a subscription model

<< < (7/17) > >>

dr_andus:
Both of those statements say the same thing, don't they?
-wraith808 (January 05, 2016, 09:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

You might be right. I guess I read it as "including 2017," but maybe that's wishful thinking.

BTW, I listened to the podcast the author links to and found it quite helpful as an intro to YNAB (though I might be really late to this party...)

The YNAB implementation is unique in the finance management software market but it's based on a simple model called "envelope budgeting." YNAB preaches "give every dollar a job" and the desktop app does a good job encouraging proper budgeting. I've discussed this at length on Nerds on Draft episode 19.
--- End quote ---

dr_andus:
YNAB 4 users out there. Would you still recommend for a newbie to buy YNAB 4 at this stage?

I'd be running it on a fairly new Win7 laptop that I hope to keep for for some years (and unlikely to upgrade to Win10).

What could go wrong when support runs out at end of 2016? Would that mean it may no longer be possible to download account data from banks?

I'm just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of investing money, time and energy to learn this thing.

Deozaan:
YNAB 4 users out there. Would you still recommend for a newbie to buy YNAB 4 at this stage?

What could go wrong when support runs out at end of 2016? Would that mean it may no longer be possible to download account data from banks?-dr_andus (January 06, 2016, 02:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you think you can run YNAB 4 as is for years (and there's no reason to assume you won't be able to) then yes, I would recommend YNAB 4. That said, the software isn't really that special. It's the philosophy/method that is so awesome. So be sure to read up on that and use YNAB to implement and follow the method.

I don't think importing data from banks would break either, unless they change their format. You just download a CSV, OFX (Microsoft Money), or a Quicken format file of all your transactions from your bank and YNAB can import them into your accounts. There's no reason for that to suddenly break next year.

Someone told me that they'd been using really old finance software for 15 years before they switched to YNAB last year. They expect to continue using YNAB 4 for the next 15 years. :)

I suspect I will be, too. :Thmbsup:

Deozaan:
Along with making a backup of the YNAB 4 installer to my Dropbox, I thought it might be a good idea to archive the YNAB Method pages just in case they take them down someday. So here are the archives:

* Rule One: Give Every Dollar a Job
* Rule Two: Save for a Rainy Day
* Rule Three: Roll with the Punches
* Rule Four: Live on Last Month's Income

wraith808:
I was looking at Dave Ramsey's Offering - EveryDollar.  It looked interesting... until I looked at the privacy policy.  Then, I had the idea to look at YNAB's privacy policy.

I am never upgrading to mYNAB.

Disclosure of Your Information

We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.

<snip />

We may disclose personal information that we collect or you provide as described in this privacy policy:

To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us about our Website users is among the assets transferred.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version