ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

YNAB moving to a subscription model

<< < (5/17) > >>

wraith808:

@wraith808 - not sure about the Evernote example though. The reports I've come across recently suggest that the company is in trouble (I can't remember where I saw the article but I think it suggested that they've wrongly focused on adding useless bells and whistles instead of improving the underlying product).
-dr_andus (January 02, 2016, 07:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you come across where that was stated, I'd be interested in seeing the reasoning.  All indications I've seen are that they're doing well... though they've introduced a middle ground in order to get a whole new class of consumers.

dr_andus:
If you come across where that was stated, I'd be interested in seeing the reasoning.
-wraith808 (January 02, 2016, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

It might have been this one: Evernote is in deep trouble - Business Insider

wraith808:
If you come across where that was stated, I'd be interested in seeing the reasoning.
-wraith808 (January 02, 2016, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

It might have been this one: Evernote is in deep trouble - Business Insider
-dr_andus (January 02, 2016, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

That looks like an indictment of the company practices as a whole.  Not the conversion to a cloud based service.  Especially with this line:

In 2012, the note-taking app Evernote became one of the first “Unicorn” startups, joining the exclusive club for private tech companies worth $1 billion or more.

That year, Evernote passed 30 million registered users, brought its total funding to $270 million, and seemed like a sure-fire candidate to hit the public market in the coming years.

--- End quote ---

What I was talking about was the conversion.  They're way past that phase.  Everything now has to do with their business practices and policies.

It still has a large user base, and as most subscription-based software companies do, it could probably improve its cash flow by cutting back on some of its investments.

--- End quote ---

Which is what I thought.  I just didn't know about the bad spending and the shotgun approach to getting apps out there.  I'd not even heard of most of them.  And the ones I did hear of- Penultimate and Skitch- I quickly dumped.

tomos:
Oh, wait... Does this mean I can no longer buy a licence key for this one? It looks like I missed the YNAB 4 boat then  :(

Edit: or is this one still a legit way of buying it?
Purchase Budget Software that Will Change Your Life
-dr_andus (January 02, 2016, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

^ any opinions on purchasing there?
Any opinions on where this any good for someone self-employed, or is it more aimed at those with a regular income?

wraith808:
It looks legit to me.  In fact, if you'd not said anything and I went there, I wouldn't have thought a second about buying it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version