topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Desklock running on Windows 10  (Read 13888 times)

Rcflyerjb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Desklock running on Windows 10
« on: January 03, 2016, 02:18 PM »
I'm trying to run Desklock on my Windows 10 laptop. I can download the program and it runs fine. However, when I reboot the my laptop I have to go back and download the Desklock software again. It doesn't seem to reload and there's no icon on the desktop to activate it. Not sure what's going on, but would appreciate some help to get this working correctly.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Desklock running on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 02:27 PM »
It sounds like you are saving it to the desktop.  I haven't tried it but it claims not to need to be installed.  Try just putting the exe in an empty folder in your account and making a shortcut for the desktop.  Then running it.  Also your Laptop may only be sleeping instead of shutting down.  After making the shortcut on the desktop and trying running it, if everything seems OK restart your system to make sure everything is saved to disk.  See if the new shortcut is still on the desktop when it comes up from the restart.

Rcflyerjb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 09:27 PM »
I'll give your suggestion a try. As for my laptop going into sleep mode I have shut it down completely. The little icon, after downloading, shows up in the system tray not on the desktop. However, there is what looks like an icon for
Desklock on my desktop, but all it contains are settings I think Desklock uses; not really sure about this though. Also I not really sure who wrote this software.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 07:17 AM »
I'll give your suggestion a try. As for my laptop going into sleep mode I have shut it down completely. The little icon, after downloading, shows up in the system tray not on the desktop. However, there is what looks like an icon for
Desklock on my desktop, but all it contains are settings I think Desklock uses; not really sure about this though. Also I not really sure who wrote this software.

It seems to be a Skrommel utility.  He has not been frequenting this forum for some time.  But his utilities do have source code.  So it is conceivable that you may be able to ask someone on https://autohotkey.com/boards/index.php to help you alter the script or figure out why there is an issue with Windows 10.  That forum is for the Autohotkey programming language Desklock is written in.

I mention sleep because many Laptops, including mine, are set by default to use "fast booting" meaning it only sleeps on shutdown.  But when it does restart it does an actual shutdown during the reboot cycle so that Windows Updates and software installers will work properly.  Of course you may have overridden the settings to do an actual shutdown.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 08:00 AM »
Another possibility is an overzealous AV scanner that removes the executable while doing a start-up or full system-scan, as many AHK compiled .exe files are suspicious by default, for most AV scanners :(

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 09:13 AM »
Another possibility is an overzealous AV scanner that removes the executable while doing a start-up or full system-scan, as many AHK compiled .exe files are suspicious by default, for most AV scanners :(

Good point. AutoIt3 code is often flagged falsely too.   :Thmbsup:

Edit:  Another possible cause would be a "time freeze" or "shadow defender" type utility that discards all system changes on reboot.  It can be very easy to enable one of those and forget it is in "shadow mode."