ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

backup strategy

<< < (4/7) > >>

kalos:
I don't think a pen drive will do versioning and automatic backup realtime as I edit files!

wraith808:
I don't think a pen drive will do versioning and automatic backup realtime as I edit files!
-kalos (December 27, 2015, 05:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

It can.  Very easily.  Install a Git repository on it, and you're good to go.  It wouldn't be automatic (though I think there are some git extensions that enable it), but you'd have backups, versioning, and the ability to get it onto other computer(s) very easily.

MilesAhead:
-kalos (December 27, 2015, 05:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

The pen drive is just the storage.  The sync software does the syncing.  OneDrive detects file changes in its folders.  But I manually copy from my source code folders to the OneDrive folders.  But you could just as easily save directly to the OneDrive folders.  Then periodically download to the pen drive for an additional copy.

I don't know how much free storage they give now.  I got 25GB for signing up then another 100GB during a Bing promotion for a total of 125GB free online storage.

It may be worth investigating.

kalos:
OK, but it doesn't really make any sense to do that, I want to save my data in case someone breaks into my house and steal my laptop! He will also steal the usb as well!

wraith808:
OK, but it doesn't really make any sense to do that, I want to save my data in case someone breaks into my house and steal my laptop! He will also steal the usb as well!
-kalos (December 27, 2015, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not if you have it on you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version