ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wikipedia "verifiability" and an opportunity for a small business?

(1/1)

TaoPhoenix:

I know, people hate the word "opportunity" but before sleazeballs took over the word, businesses began with things like you poured a glass of lemonade, made a dollar, and got to eat a burger for lunch. No one said you had to have "minimum sales" (jokes about tax law aside etc.)

You Did Something, You Provided Something, You got Paid Something, then you Spent part / all of the Something to live.

"That's all business is." The rest is a giant Hydra-headed mess of details.

-------------

So I was cleaning up some of my loose ends from my research day and something popped up at me about Wiki with an angle I hadn't thought of before but I've seen twice now and it could be a legit thing for a nice two-person operation to get into (and then grow?)

In a nutshell, among all its *other* issues, one of the disturbing ones is "We don't want to write up part of an article because it isn't verifiable". I know, in general, that keeps a lot of wild theories away, but in software it can change.

About the Russian Yandex browser, people began talking about the nature of Yandex browser vs the search company and so on. Someone wondered "well, there's no reliable sources for that".

Someone else replied, "well, anyone with the old version of the installer could prove it. "Verifiable sources would just not bother documenting this".

So your "first glass of lemonade" is you make your company, you get hold of the old installer, take screenshots and/or video under some kind of authority (to prove it's not all a hoax, for example just with a Notary Public watching in their office and signing it etc), then post the results, especially sending a copy to Internet Archive, and then it's a Reliable Source and maybe Wiki will accept it.

Without getting as fancy as "needing to set up a company", I'm not quite skilled enough to unravel this, but is anyone interested in trying out a couple of these just to see if the concept works? (And if it gets past Wiki politics!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version