ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

gateway ta6 laptop

<< < (10/14) > >>

holt:
I downloaded ImgBurn from the official website, and my anti-virus triggered a warning for a 'pup' or 'potentially unwanted program', named -of all things- PUP-FCA. Google has no info. Can anyone please advise. Thanks.

Ath:
My AV (Symantec) just gave a warning about it containing OpenCandy, but that's relatively harmless. I tried the ImgBurn provided mirror, btw, maybe other mirrors trigger the warning based on their hostname?

holt:
My AV (Symantec) just gave a warning about it containing OpenCandy, but that's relatively harmless. I tried the ImgBurn provided mirror, btw, maybe other mirrors trigger the warning based on their hostname?
-Ath (January 14, 2016, 01:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks. After I install ImgBurn, I'll just run Malwarebytes and a few other anti-pup scans to do a general pup cleanup.

tomos:
-Ath (January 14, 2016, 01:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks. After I install ImgBurn, I'll just run Malwarebytes and a few other anti-pup scans to do a general pup cleanup.
-holt (January 14, 2016, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

when installing, just be careful:
read each dialog window carefully, make sure to avoid installing any additional toolbars or software (sometimes it can be done/phrased sneakily). Generally, that's enough (with opencandy at any rate).

holt:
That's very good advice, and thanks. I'm thinking of -or strongly tempted anyway- to make a separate post, titled something like "McAfee's Nasty Little Secret" or words to that effect. I had purchased a McAfee Key Code card from a non-McAfee vendor who advertised it for a cut-rate price as 'compatible with Windows XP', and found out it didn't cover Windows XP, and refused to install. McAfee's hot line chat representative, after I courteously explained my predicament and showed my proof of purchase with a genuine McAfee Key Code serial number, 'made good' and very nicely set me up with a valid subscription that works with Windows XP.

But in the process, I learned that McAfee normally requires your credit card number as part of the Key Code validation/authentication process, and sets you up for automatic renewal the NEXT time around (1 year later) at full retail price (and very exorbitant). I somehow circumvented and skirted past this little high-pressure sales gambit this time, because of my product Key Code problem; the chat rep validated me differently and didn't ask me to crank in a credit card number.

But NEXT time I need to renew, 1 year from now, I am forewarned in advance what McAfee's game plan will be; "Give us your credit card number, and agree to automatic renewal charges in advance (at McAfee's exploitive online website full retail price), or we won't let you register THIS time." That's quite a surprise, and nobody gets advance warning of it until they go to register what they've already purchased, even if elsewhere such as from an Ebay or Amazon.com reseller first. I royally dread advance purchase agreements like that, especially compulsory ones, and most especially surprise compulsory ones. NEXT time, I will know what to expect, and I don't think I will be purchasing McAfee no matter how nice their product is. I do not like that kind of sales approach.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version