ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

gateway ta6 laptop

<< < (9/14) > >>

Shades:
Portable hard disks (2.5 inch sized ones) would be a good deal for you. Those are available in lots of places, 1TByte and 2TByte models aren't that expensive (think in a 60 to 100 USD range) and usually much faster than a thumb drive, even on USB 2.0 ports. 

Bacula is an extensive (Linux based) backup solution and its "Virtualized tapes" are in essence just big files on a hard disk in my case...which could be spooled to a real tape drive, if I had one of those still.   

tomos:
512GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Metal Swivel High Speed Memory Stick Thumb Pen Gifts
$13.66 & free shipping
[..]
I'm thinking of buying, and seeking opinions. The laptop I was given is about 10 years old, and only has USB 2.0 anyway, so it would be pointless to pay more for USB 3.0 or greater. I do wish to be warned if the offers may be bogus somehow, because a few years back there were bogus thumb drives being offered on ebay, but times change and the technology seems legit in this case.
-holt (January 10, 2016, 02:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

it's hard to believe they're real at that price, but I dont know :-/
The negative reviews the seller gets are all related to SD cards that dont have the advertised space:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=haucn_oohce&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&which=negative&interval=180&_trkparms=negative_180
which would make me wary.

I suspect many people buy, see 512GB listed as size on PC and give positive feedback -- but AFAIK that can be 'fixed', and it's only when they run out of space @ 32GB or whatever, that they realise they've been conned.

holt:
512GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Metal Swivel High Speed Memory Stick Thumb Pen Gifts
$13.66 & free shipping
[..]
I'm thinking of buying, and seeking opinions. The laptop I was given is about 10 years old, and only has USB 2.0 anyway, so it would be pointless to pay more for USB 3.0 or greater. I do wish to be warned if the offers may be bogus somehow, because a few years back there were bogus thumb drives being offered on ebay, but times change and the technology seems legit in this case.
-holt (January 10, 2016, 02:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

it's hard to believe they're real at that price, but I dont know :-/
The negative reviews the seller gets are all related to SD cards that dont have the advertised space:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=haucn_oohce&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&which=negative&interval=180&_trkparms=negative_180
which would make me wary.

I suspect many people buy, see 512GB listed as size on PC and give positive feedback -- but AFAIK that can be 'fixed', and it's only when they run out of space @ 32GB or whatever, that they realise they've been conned.
-tomos (January 11, 2016, 01:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
I can hardly believe my eyes, but you're right. It's the same con. A ripoff, the reviews tell all:
//--PC shows it is 256GB but it's not able to hold that much-FAKE, do not buy.
--Memory card does not work...beware of low price
--Works only to 10G!
//
Imagine that.

Ath:
Well, as usual when the price is too good to be true: it probably is :huh:

holt:
Well, as usual when the price is too good to be true: it probably is :huh:
-Ath (January 12, 2016, 01:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
...even in ebay, with a trusted seller of alleged good repute, who is actually a ripoff con artist.

My freebie ten year old laptop came with on-board dvd burning software known as Cyberlink Power2Go, with a UI that looks a lot like Nero 7 layout. The laptop lacks sufficient memory (2GB) to run Nero, so I uninstalled Nero, but wanted to save it to a dvd I have, titled 'downloads'. I finally got daring enough to try burning my 190MB Nero download to that dvd. Power2Go ran almost like Nero, took 10 minutes to burn to dvd, and 'failed'. The entire laptop OS locked. I finally had to power off by holding on the power button until it shut down the OS. On reboot, the laptop tried to read the dvd and went into a continuous loop feedback. I powered off with the power button again, and used a straightened paper clip to manually eject the now-toxic dvd, which went straight into the 'circular file' (waste paper basket). On reboot, the laptop took an extra 5 minutes to reach desktop, but recovered. I went online and found out how to create a restore point in XP and ran it.

I guess I'll try ImgBurn next.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version