ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Long Path Fixer

(1/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
There were a couple of threads about "path too long" error in the past.  I noticed this freeware to fix path too long errors.  The page seems to have quality freeware so I thought I would mention it.

Too Long Path Fixer

64 bit Freeware Page

MilesAhead:
Related to this is an article describing a Registry Tweak to remove this 260 char path limitation in Windows 10:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-enable-paths-longer-than-260-characters-in-windows-10/#more-183300

IainB:
Until I read that, I had not realised that you could fix this in Win10 either through a small change in Windows Group Policy (if you have access to it) or a small Registry change.
Is a dead simple fix now, it seems.

MilesAhead:
Until I read that, I had not realised that you could fix this in Win10 either through a small change in Windows Group Policy (if you have access to it) or a small Registry change.
Is a dead simple fix now, it seems.
-IainB (September 10, 2016, 06:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

If someone mentioned it I had forgotten about it until I ran across that article.  My kingdom for a workbench with a dozen junk, er, I mean, previously new but expendable, PCs so I can try 10 and a lot of Linux stuff out.  It seems like W10 is solidifying.   ;D

But my next thing is to get a smart phone to program, or try to.  I can fit that in my bag at least.  :)

Edit:  I wonder if a performance hit motivated MS to leave it disabled by default?  Perhaps it has to load additional code as in yet another DLL hooked to Explorer?  Just speculating.

IainB:
...Edit:  I wonder if a performance hit motivated MS to leave it disabled by default?  Perhaps it has to load additional code as in yet another DLL hooked to Explorer?  Just speculating.
-MilesAhead (September 11, 2016, 12:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Exactly. You may well be right. How to test?
My first thought was, "Finally!"
Then, "Now why would they want to leave that disabled by default in this shiny new OS?"
Then it was. "Oh well" (click). Enabled.
Perhaps I've just bogged my laptop...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version