ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

help with data matching

<< < (3/3)

4wd:
And I think that's exactly what 4wd said above, but I'm going to post this anyway because maybe I'm wrong.  :-[-wraith808 (December 16, 2015, 07:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not wrong  :Thmbsup:

I think some pseudo-examples would help with us working out possible RegEx.

Target:
this should be reasonably safe (what could possibly go wrong?)

the attached lists a bunch of entries that I've already matched - it's by no means complete, but it's a start

note that it's actually in CSV format so you can just change the xtn

4wd:
See what you mean, the postcode is about the only thing that matches reasonably consistently and even that fails in two of the examples you've got.

Target:
gotta love the value we place on data integrity :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
If it's something you'll need to do frequently, or just multiple times...automate.

If it's something you need to do once, it's probably safer and easier to just suffer through it.

When we switch business applications a few years ago, it was my lot in life to sort out the mess that was our data for export/import. We had a list of 5,000 clients that was in in much the same state as you describe. Some people used address field 1, some people used address field 2, some people abbreviated, some did not ... It was a complete GD train wreck.

But in retrospect, it wasn't that hard to sort out in Excel once I started playing with the sort order and using replace X in column only. Because if you sort by the column you're working on all of the errors of a given type tend to get grouped by the sorting process, so they're easier to address it one shot.

Just a thought.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version