topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Stephen's Weekly Tech News - Edition 9  (Read 8400 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Stephen's Weekly Tech News - Edition 9
« on: April 18, 2010, 06:44 PM »
StephensMasthead (Rev01).gif

Hi guys, after I missed last week, I promised you some good stories this week, so lets take a look what we have on offer.

I'm gonna try stray away from anything iPad related this week, seeing as it seems to have stolen the spotlight on all the other Tech News sources!

Enjoy,

-Stephen

The next, big thing for Intel: Sandy Bridge

Simply put, Sandy Bridge is an extension of Moore's Law that will take Intel chips to the next level of integration and performance....Read More...

U.S. seeks climate ideas after Copenhagen fell short

The United States is asking for ideas about how to tackle global warming without raising expectations of breakthroughs in 2010 ahead of climate talks among the world's top emitters on Sunday in Washington.

A document obtained by Reuters on Friday listing U.S. questions to delegates from 16 other major economies shows the two-day talks will focus on the fate of U.N. climate talks, the non-binding Copenhagen Accord, and the Kyoto Protocol.

It does not answer key questions such as what the United States, the biggest emitter behind China, plans to....Read More...

Microsoft kills upshirt scene in Kin ad

And so the upshirt goes the way of the upchuck.

After pressure from some people who found it creepy and thought it encouraged sexting, Microsoft intends to re-edit an ad for its new, socially networked cell phone, Kin.

The ad, which some might consider about as dangerous as an ice cream cone in a gunfight, showed a young chap take a Kin shot of whatever was up his shirt--presumably tautly trained pectorals-- and send it to...Read More...

Let the Rich Internet App Battle Begin

It was a big week for Rich Internet Applications. Adobe's Creative Suite 5 and Microsoft's Visual Studio 2010, as well as its Silverlight 4, all lend momentum to the drive to move RIAs off the browser. The platforms have sharpened new methodologies for designing simpler client-side Web apps that maintain data on stronger server-side apps....Read More...

Obama on Space Exploration: We've Got to Be Smart
Responding to a hail of criticism over his decision to end the Constellation program to return to the moon, President Obama told NASA employees on Thursday that no one is more committed to manned space exploration than he is, and that he expects to see humans land on Mars within his lifetime....Read More...

NSA Chief: Cyberwar Rules of Engagement a Policy Minefield

NSA Chief: Cyberwar Rules of Engagement a Policy Minefield...Read More...

The Life Expectancy of Linux

Linux can't be around forever, can it? For that matter, what does the future hold for operating systems in general? "If you asked me to predict what operating systems would look like in the future, I would probably give you quite a pessimistic answer," said blogger Jeremy Visser. "I think that future OSes will be more and more locked down, and you will be doing less with them while thinking you are doing more."...Read More...

Astroboffin says 'black holes murder galaxies'

About 25,000 light years from earth, nestled in the center of our galaxy, lurks a supermassive black hole. Luckily for us, our galaxy's matter-sucking hub is far less active than those at the core of many other galaxies.

If it weren't, we'd all be dead. Or, more likely, our earth would never have come to be in the first place.

Such are the conclusions of a team of researchers from the University of Nottingham's School of Physics & Astronomy, led by PhD student Asa Bluck, who gave a talk on Friday at the 2010 Royal Astronomical Society National Astronomy Meeting (RAS NAM) entitled "The Co-Evolution of Massive Galaxies and their...Read More...

Google Chrome OS to route print jobs around planet

Google has explained how it intends to print from its browser-obsessed Chrome OS netbooks. Naturally, it will send all your jobs across the net, through its servers, and back down to a PC elsewhere in the room.

In fact, Google intends to send all your print jobs through its servers, whether they're coming from a desktop or a mobile or some other notebook that has nothing to do with Chrome OS. Well, through its servers or - in theory - someone else's.

The company has open sourced the code for its online print service, hoping to encourage other outfits to duplicate this contraption hat takes print jobs across the world and back again.

We would argue it would be easier to...Read More...

School secretly snapped 1000s of students at home

A suburban Philadelphia school district secretly captured thousands of images of students in their homes, sometimes as they slept or were partially undressed, according to documents filed in federal court.

Using a system to track lost or stolen laptops, officials from the Lower Merion School District also covertly surveilled students as they used their school-issued Macs, logging online chats and taking screenshots of websites they visited, according to the documents.

The allegations came to light in a lawsuit filed by the family of Blake Robbins, which argues that the LANrev software illegally invaded his privacy. The family first learned of the surveillance in November when an assistant principal...Read More...

Video of The Week

Thanks to mouser for providing us with this weeks video!

Got a story you feel needs sharing with the world? Submit it to me via PM and, after approval and verification, I will happily add it to next weeks Tech News!

Visit the Tech News Archive Here.

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Stephen's Weekly Tech News - Edition 9
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 10:52 PM »
Thanks for the news!
I really liked this idea:  How to print from an iPad!
"picture from theregister"

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:46 AM »
Nice update. The CNET article on Sandy Bridge makes it sound like it's laptop-focused, but as I understand it Intel's "tick-tock" cycle would make it a full architecture upgrade, so it would be in place for desktops as well. In the past the server line has debuted first, so I wonder if that will be the case here. I also wonder if the integrated GPU would be standard for all CPUs on this architecture, if so that seems wasteful.

Cool vid too, I should really make it down to that museum one of these days. Close by. :)

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 07:59 AM »
Thanks for another great issue.

I found the NSA/Cyberwarfare article particularly interesting, as much for what the officials said, as what they left unsaid.

Troubling times...

But nothing we can't handle or get through. :)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:01 AM by 40hz »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 03:56 PM »
Excellent news this week -- thank you!

I would LOVE to get to that museum.  Maybe a good place for a dc gathering :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 06:21 PM »
I would LOVE to get to that museum.

Ooooooo...they have a Cray-1 and an Enigma!!!

I wanna go to!

P.S. Is that elegant brunette gonna be there? If so, my nephew says he's coming along too.  ;D