ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Replace existing file with zero byte version with slight name change

<< < (3/3)

TaoPhoenix:
Why would you want to create filenames in advance if they differ from the filename to be used eventually?

OT: Reserving space for future filecontent won't work using 0-byte files, as no actual diskspace is claimed by those files, only a directory-entry. Write at least 1 byte and a single cluster (4 KB on most systems) is used.
-Ath (December 26, 2015, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am curious about the side tangents of all of this.

- I create files I often label (((something))) SHELL to remind me both that something needs to go there but that is a blank file. And since I don't worry about 4-7kb, I tend to use text files, because then I can put in a memo of "what was I *thinking?!*

- Do Zero Byte files show up in Directory Readers?

Ath:
I am curious about the side tangents of all of this.

- I create files I often label (((something))) SHELL to remind me both that something needs to go there but that is a blank file. And since I don't worry about 4-7kb, I tend to use text files, because then I can put in a memo of "what was I *thinking?!*
-TaoPhoenix (December 26, 2015, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm just trying to find the reasoning for this kind of workflow. But maybe I'm not working often enough with files-in-directories projects to see this at a glance. Now that it's somewhat more explained, I'm getting the hang of it.  ;)

- Do Zero Byte files show up in Directory Readers?
-TaoPhoenix (December 26, 2015, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Why would they not? Even a zero-byte file is a file, and the name does hold information. If they don't show up, the directory reader is flawed, IMHO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version