ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

MilesAheadSoftware source only future?

(1/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
I got a complaint from my web hosting provider today about a download showing as malware.  I tried recompiling it with the latest version of AutoIt3 stable release.  It still trips VirusTotal.

Going through the list of zip files on my site it seems that quite a high percentage run afoul of one or more of the scanners that glom onto VirusTotal.  This leaves me with the choice to either chase my tail registering programs as false positives, in which case another scanner can just pop up out of the woodwork to make me endlessly submit this crap. Or I will have to only post source code.

The trouble with source code is include files.  If I use any routines written by someone else, now I am in the predicament of being dependent on their code availability, updates, breakage etc..

So the short of it is the handwriting on the wall seems to indicate the direction will be posting utilities in source code only written by myself that can be contained in a single file.

Since most people want to download things and use them, this will likely reduce to a fraction those who will use my programs.

Alternatively, I can continue to put stuff on Softpedia, and just chuck the web hosting.  But then I have no site of my own to point to.

Such fun giving stuff away ain't it?

It looks like as far as my own page goes, it will likely be that the surviving downloads will be single file source code in AHK.  I don't relish endlessly rescanning every executable I have hosted to see what passes VirusTotal that day.  More and more it seems the web is more hassle that it is worth.  It's nothing more than a shopping catalog it seems.  :(

cranioscopical:
More and more it seems the web is more hassle that it is worth.  It's nothing more than a shopping catalog it seems.
-MilesAhead (December 07, 2015, 08:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Amen to that!

MilesAhead:
More and more it seems the web is more hassle that it is worth.  It's nothing more than a shopping catalog it seems.
-MilesAhead (December 07, 2015, 08:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Amen to that!

-cranioscopical (December 07, 2015, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just for chuckles you may want to purge your browser cache and read my page.  I am sure my diatribe won't do any good but it made me feel better to post it.  I notice more and more of my files and being flagged by more av scanners in the VirusTotal posse.  I guess the one man programmer wasn't dead enough.  Now they are going after the zombies too dumb to have gotten out of this a long time ago.  :)

http://milesaheadsoftware.org/

wraith808:
Perhaps you could talk with mouser about hosting it on a user page?

MilesAhead:
Perhaps you could talk with mouser about hosting it on a user page?
-wraith808 (December 07, 2015, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's an idea.  But what concerns me is that these scanner databases can be fed some string generated by your code as a trigger.  It just looks bad if 35 out of 50 scanners say your program is evil.  Then how could it be left up?  It is just fear mongering.

Maybe I need a change anyway.  Instead of coming up with small utilities when I don't have a test setup that approaches the norm anymore(more and more people using multi-monitor setups just to mention one aspect.. pun intended) maybe I should pursue another angle.

It just seems like every time I buy a new T-Shirt with my domain in the front, the domain gets pulled.  If I switch away from downloadable binaries maybe I can head that trend off.  :)

The main danger is people would be subjected to me blogging or something equally scary.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version