ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Fixing File Associations (PDF)

<< < (2/2)

TaoPhoenix:

Skipping Win Media Player, re file associations, I've found that apps "grab" file associations sometimes even when there's no button for "set as default". So I wonder if this all goes on with PDFs.

tomos:
today, PDF's, when opened indirectly (i.e. called by another software e.g. via a link in spreadsheet, or say Help file via menu) they open via my default browser (PaleMoon). The browser opens the file as if it was being downloaded.
I am bemused, to say the least :huh: ;D

Since you've got DOpus you might find it easier to do it in there, Settings->File Types->System File Types

[ Invalid Attachment ]

That's usually how I end up fixing associations that screw up.
-4wd (December 04, 2015, 05:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

that was interesting -- even though it (Dopus) shows the Adobe Acrobat icon and states: "Opens with: Adobe Reader", when I go to edit as per your screenshot, it had the following for open:
"C:\Windows\eHome\ehshell.exe" "%1"
which turns out to be Windows Media Center ...
-tomos (December 04, 2015, 05:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I checked DOpus as per 4wd's screenshot and unlike my last experience, it seems to have correct path:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe""%1"

I'll shutdown later and report back tomorrow if that fixes it.
Otherwise will go rooting around in the registry.

Curt:
also remember that pdf originally is listed as Portable Document Format (PDF), not pdf or Adobe- or something- pdf
so you may not have scrolled long enough down the page!

tomos:
today, PDF's, when opened indirectly (i.e. called by another software e.g. via a link in spreadsheet, or say Help file via menu) they open via my default browser (PaleMoon). The browser opens the file as if it was being downloaded.
I am bemused, to say the least
[..]
I'll shutdown later and report back tomorrow if that fixes it.
-tomos (December 21, 2016, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I forgot to check this after rebooting...
Have updated windows since, and no longer have the problem -- so cant say what fixed it, nor what broke it :-\ but at least it working now

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version