ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Slimjet updated to 10.0.3.0

<< < (4/4)

MilesAhead:
By the way, I am becoming grudgingly impressed with SlimJet:
-IainB (May 27, 2016, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

For me it does have some minor frustrations.  Although it snaps open and appears responsive, I find that once a page is loaded there are strange delays when trying to vertical scroll.  Sometimes I drag the scroll bar thumb tab and it stubbornly remains at the current location for 10 or more seconds.  If I use the mouse wheel to scroll it does nothing at first, then does more than what I want so that I have to keep going by where I want to go instead of going right to it.

In some ways Netscape 6.x and dial-up with my USR 56K external modem was superior.  Other than file download speed that is.

MilesAhead:
Hmmm auto updating on my portable version does not seem to be fixed yet.

IainB:
I can't seem to find a way to get Slimjet to auto-update, so i manually update it.
v12.0.14.0 is still the latest version I can find as at 2017-01-01.

I today found a useful chrome store add-on to perform the same role as the excellent Firefox self-destucting cookies extension  - it's called Tab Cookies. It seems to work very well and does what it says:

* Get in control of your privacy automatically deleting the unused cookies created in each tab when you close it.
This extensions deletes all the cookies created in a tab (which are not used by other tabs) when you close the tab. In this way your privacy is guaranteed.

For example, as long as you stay on gMail, you are logged in, but once you close that tab (and all the others which are or have been on a Google site) the tracking cookies of Google disappear. Same for Facebook,

--- End quote ---
I searched for it after getting a message from https://www.washingtonpost.com/ that I had already read 2 pages and wasn't allowed to read any more. I found that interruption unspeakably annoying. - I mean, who the heck do they think they are and what gives them the right to monitor how many pages I read of anything and interrupt my web browsing and take control like that?
Sheesh.
I was also annoyed by the assumptions it made - I had got to that particular page not because I wanted to read that particular page or even their blasted organ per se, but because it was a link referred to by a post on another website. When I follow a link, I am generally not too interested in whose website it is.

If I had not found the Tab Cookies add-on or similar, then I would have just blocked the washingtonpost.com domain in my browser and they could shove it. They don't have copyright on news.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version