ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

Continued software development?

<< < (4/6) > >>

Stoic Joker:
All of these arguments are theoretical, and not necessarily based on your current situation.  I've noted that the software in question isn't mentioned anywhere.  Is there a reason for this?  If you could post what the software is, where the site to get it is, etc., we could possible give more concrete answers based on facts, rather than assumptions.-wraith808 (December 04, 2015, 04:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was struggling with that one myself, until I spotted this: Official MSPA Notifier thread. MPSA appears to be (an animation form of some kind?) MS Paint Adventures

Asudem:
All of these arguments are theoretical, and not necessarily based on your current situation.  I've noted that the software in question isn't mentioned anywhere.  Is there a reason for this?  If you could post what the software is, where the site to get it is, etc., we could possible give more concrete answers based on facts, rather than assumptions.
-wraith808 (December 04, 2015, 04:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes. The software itself throws morals into question, and I'd rather not just outright post what it does as a first impression of who I am as a programmer. I could have gone ahead and posted the software without discussing it first, but honestly I wanted to make sure it was alright to first, which it's becoming increasingly more difficult to come to a conclusion about. If you would like a description of the software I would be more than happy to PM it to anyone.

I was struggling with that one myself, until I spotted this: Official MSPA Notifier thread. MPSA appears to be (an animation form of some kind?) MS Paint Adventures
-Stoic Joker (December 04, 2015, 06:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, the MSPA Notifier is my own personal from-scratch project. I began writing it from the ground up in 2011 I believe, and it's been my most successfully distributed project to date. I've learned a lot simply by improving the software over the years, but it is in no way a continued version of anyone's code but my own. If a stylized and custom RSS reader falls under the category of not legitimate program for this site, I'm not sure how long I would last here as I do a lot of web based automation.

wraith808:
I'm still not getting why, if Stoic Joker's research is not correct on the software, you don't just post the link to the software and the name?  We're not going to judge you based on that fact, and it would help us to help you, since you're coming to us asking the question?  We'd be able to give you academic answers based on the facts of the software in question, rather than generalities that may be right or wrong?  That's the only reason I'm asking.

Everything that everyone has told you so far is correct... in certain situations.  But, they are not correct in all situations, and may not even apply to you.  Asking questions, especially on software rights and such is the right thing to do, and should IMO have no reflection on you that you're asking the questions.  Unless these questions come into play after the software in question is created.  We've had experience with that on DC, and it's not exactly something that I'd like to repeat, as it was an ugly scene, that divided a lot of people on the question.

Asudem:
I'm still not getting why, if Stoic Joker's research is not correct on the software, you don't just post the link to the software and the name?  We're not going to judge you based on that fact, and it would help us to help you, since you're coming to us asking the question?  We'd be able to give you academic answers based on the facts of the software in question, rather than generalities that may be right or wrong?  That's the only reason I'm asking.

Everything that everyone has told you so far is correct... in certain situations.  But, they are not correct in all situations, and may not even apply to you.  Asking questions, especially on software rights and such is the right thing to do, and should IMO have no reflection on you that you're asking the questions.  Unless these questions come into play after the software in question is created.  We've had experience with that on DC, and it's not exactly something that I'd like to repeat, as it was an ugly scene, that divided a lot of people on the question.
-wraith808 (December 04, 2015, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here is a link to the software. The author states here that "This will most likely be my last release."

I'm really interested in what people will have to say now that the software has been revealed and it's author only exists as an anonymous 6-post user on a web form, lol.

wraith808:
You're liable to run into the same problems that the person that did it on DC did in the long run.

No released license assumes closed source.

some more information:

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/148146/open-source-code-with-no-license-can-i-fork-it

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/26548/what-is-the-default-software-license

http://blog.codinghorror.com/pick-a-license-any-license/

http://choosealicense.com/no-license/

Of course, the interpretation is going to be left to the particular judge, the particular courtroom, and the particular day (I'm not kidding), but if you've gotten that far, you're most likely already screwed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version