ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

Continued software development?

<< < (2/6) > >>

mouser:
Asudem, welcome to the site!

You seem like you have a great attitude about this issues -- and open source folks are lucky to have people like you interested in continuing the development of software they've started -- most will be thrilled with what you are proposing.

So, go for it and welcome to the site -- I look forward to hearing more about what you are working on :Thmbsup:

Having said that -- do keep in mind that donations are exceedingly rare these days and if getting donations is important to you, you are almost certain to be dissapointed.  But getting encouragement is certainly something we can help with here.

Asudem:
Asudem, welcome to the site!

You seem like you have a great attitude about this issues -- and open source folks are lucky to have people like you interested in continuing the development of software they've started -- most will be thrilled with what you are proposing.

So, go for it and welcome to the site -- I look forward to hearing more about what you are working on :Thmbsup:

Having said that -- do keep in mind that donations are exceedingly rare these days and if getting donations is important to you, you are almost certain to be dissapointed.  But getting encouragement is certainly something we can help with here.
-mouser (December 03, 2015, 09:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wow, such an honor for a newbie like myself to get such a heartfelt welcome from a high ranking authority! I've only posted my first piece of original software and already this place feels like home. Like I said, donations would be highly appreciated, but are never expected from me. I want to learn while helping other people! I want to create programs to solve everyone's computer headaches and automation needs!

ewemoa:
There's not a shred of license info in any of the sources uploaded, nor commented into the code.
-Asudem (December 03, 2015, 09:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

IANAL, but IIUC, in the U.S. the default policy is that the original author holds copyright over the original at least for some duration (which mysteriously seems to get longer).

Any how, I have my fingers crossed that no ill will come of this.

P.S. Are you a Greek mythology fan?

Asudem:
IANAL, but IIUC, in the U.S. the default policy is that the original author holds copyright over the original at least for some duration (which mysteriously seems to get longer).

Any how, I have my fingers crossed that no ill will come of this.

P.S. Are you a Greek mythology fan?
-ewemoa (December 03, 2015, 10:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
I hopefully wish to address this by adding a killswitch in my software, permanently rendering all distributed copies disabled and unrunable if any legal action were even hinted at. I just don't know if that violates the upload policy here because it's kind of crippleware?

P.S. Do you read everything backwards? =P

mouser:
i think the killswitch thing might make people quite uncomfortable.  especially for a new piece of software from an unknown author.. people get nervous about things that communicate to a server and do weird things, and they want control over their own computer.
the best thing you can do if you are modifying someone else's open source code is keep the source code available and let people use that -- and there doesnt seem any reason to put a kill switch in open source software..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version