ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

Continued software development?

(1/6) > >>

Asudem:
Greetings,

I have found some dead, open-source, software and wish to carry on the program's development. When I announced that I would be continuing the development, I got a much bigger response than I anticipated, and many wished to donate to the cause. I was looking for some sort of pay-what-you-want-model software site, but nothing but videogames came up. I managed to find this site and believe this would be the perfect place to post the software and continue it's development by user generated feedback.

My question is, am I allowed to do this here because it's not my original code?

TaoPhoenix:
Greetings,

I have found some dead, open-source, software and wish to carry on the program's development. When I announced that I would be continuing the development, I got a much bigger response than I anticipated, and many wished to donate to the cause. I was looking for some sort of pay-what-you-want-model software site, but nothing but videogames came up. I managed to find this site and believe this would be the perfect place to post the software and continue it's development by user generated feedback.

My question is, am I allowed to do this here because it's not my original code?
-Asudem (December 03, 2015, 08:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

My question is for the experts here. My instincts say please give us some info on exactly what the original licenses are, because if you're going to use funds to continue development I've heard of some chain-of-ownership problems even if it's "dead" (Coma?) and when you switch from "labor of love" to any kind of funded, sometimes things get weird.

Asudem:
My question is for the experts here. My instincts say please give us some info on exactly what the original licenses are, because if you're going to use funds to continue development I've heard of some chain-of-ownership problems even if it's "dead" (Coma?) and when you switch from "labor of love" to any kind of funded, sometimes things get weird.
-TaoPhoenix (December 03, 2015, 08:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
There's not a shred of license info in any of the sources uploaded, nor commented into the code. The program's development was confined to a web form thread from start until the author mysteriously stopped posting months ago. I found the program for my own purposes but ran into bugs wanting to use the software in the way I wanted, so I found a post with the source code and fixed the bug, whom it turned out many other users were having.

If I wanted funds to continue development, I would have tried a gofundme or something. I would like to see the program continue to be free for everyone, but those who wish to show their appreciation with donations can. I didn't even realize this was a thing that people do. Programming is my labor of love, but I'd never fund a program. I'd rather give it away and interact with my users to give them the best application possible for their needs!

TaoPhoenix:

Sure, have at it, all I wanted to do was post a quick caution note because just because a dev "mysteriously stops", he might come back one day.

So good luck!

Asudem:
Sure, have at it, all I wanted to do was post a quick caution note because just because a dev "mysteriously stops", he might come back one day.

So good luck!
-TaoPhoenix (December 03, 2015, 09:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ha, I hope he does, I have much to discuss with him! Perhaps a github collab would be in order then! I'd over a good percentage of my donations too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version