ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Raspberry Pi Zero -- $5.00

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ath:
The problem with ARM computers is that they, although rather power-saving, are not viable network devices. Their CPUs are too slow for serious file transfers.
-Tuxman (November 28, 2015, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, to not have a network connection is far more restrictive than to have a slow network connection. In that case I can at least use it for *something* (inter)network based instead of only locally connected (GPIO, USB) hardware. And a USB-Ethernet 'converter' requires a USB-hub if a keyboard/mouse should also be connected :(
I haven't found any docs on the 6 parallel soldering lines on the back of the pcb yet, but I'm hoping that they pull a rabbit out of a hat, and it's an ethernet connector that should just be soldered on there...

Renegade:
The problem with ARM computers is that they, although rather power-saving, are not viable network devices. Their CPUs are too slow for serious file transfers.
-Tuxman (November 28, 2015, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not so sure about that.

I don't think that the Pi Zero is something that you want to hook up a keyboard to. Instead, these kinds of computers are better suited to specific purposes. You might want to have it control some sensors in your home.

I saw a couple projects for an Arduino, which has far less power than a Pi Zero, where it was controlling sensors and lighting in a bathroom. When someone walked in at night, it would detect movement, then slowly fade in the lights. How many times have you woken up at night, stumbled into the bathroom, and then been blinded when you turned on the lights FULL BLAST? A few people have solved that with tiny computers, like the Pi Zero.

Sure, it's not a massive application, but it's still useful.

But there's no reason why you couldn't hook up a Wi-Fi module to the Pi Zero and have it communicate those tiny bits of data you want for running things like home automation. You don't need a huge amount of data transfer for it.

So while it's certainly not fit for some applications, it's still more than enough to run some.

Arizona Hot:

Pi Zero The Computer That Costs $5 - YouTube

$5 Computer Sells Out In 24 Hours

Deozaan:
Anyone getting an RPi Zero may also be interested in this little doohickey:

http://www.everbuying.net/product1101392.html

Currently $0.80 USD with free shipping.

Renegade:
Anyone getting an RPi Zero may also be interested in this little doohickey:

http://www.everbuying.net/product1101392.html

Currently $0.80 USD with free shipping.
-Deozaan (November 30, 2015, 11:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's pretty sexy!

I found some with cords for more flexibility, but they're certainly not as sexy. Mind you, you can get them for $0.61 each. If saving that $0.19 is more important than sexiness. :P ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version