ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

question about audio

<< < (2/2)

Deozaan:
BUT, i believe what you'll find is that Windows 7 (and higher) has this feature built into it.
-mouser (November 17, 2015, 04:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nope.

Chevolume not only allows per-application volume control (which Windows 7+ has) but it also allows you to set which applications output to which audio devices (speakers, headset, etc.) all at the same time. With Windows it's all-or-nothing on an output audio device without 3rd party software like this.

That said, you could upgrade to Windows 7+ for the per-application volume control and then use some other software that allows you to output audio to different devices. I tried some software out a year or two ago that did something like this but I can't recall the name of it. I believe Skwire recommended it to me, so he'd probably know.

Andastre:
Was just wondering as I couldn't find something else like that. Well,I use some of the options (allow to set which applications output to which audio devices all at the same time) and except for the bugs it does the job fine. Maybe chrome is officially supported by the author but other browsers do work (except a little buggy sometimes but probably not only related to them).

Deozaan:
I have never heard of programs with this set of features, and I wouldn't know why to need them.-Curt (November 17, 2015, 04:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here's an example: Say you don't have a cell phone or a landline, so you take all your calls on your PC via Skype or other VoIP. But you need to have the headset unplugged so you can hear the incoming ring from your speakers if you're away from your PC. But then if you answer the call, you can't talk through your headset because all the audio is going through your speakers.

Being able to switch from speakers to headset without having to hang up and start a new call is a nice feature.

Curt:
not updated for 2½ years: http://www.indievolume.com/

IndieVolume is a per-application volume control for Windows XP > Windows 7.

IndieVolume makes Windows programs use separate volume controls independent of other Windows programs.

Bespoke per-application volume, IndieVolume can also make Windows programs shut when GPS speaks, boost too silent sound, propagate sounds to multiple rooms in your apartment and many more.

IndieVolume is not free software. After trying IndieVolume for 14 days for free, you must purchase the $25 license.

IndieVolume 3.5.99.171
    Date: April 1, 2013 Size: 2.75 MB

System Requirements:
    Windows XP SP3 (x32 applications)
    Windows Vista SP2 (x32 applications)
    Windows 7 (x32 applications)
-AlternativeTo
--- End quote ---
To start on using IndieVolume follow these steps:

Launch IndieVolume, an icon will appear in the system tray area...

Double-click on the IndieVolume icon, or right-click and select Show IndieVolume in the system tray - the main window will appear...
    Find [example] Skype in the list of Active Applications and tick Handled check box
    Click Mute Others check box for Skype and make IndieVolume handle [example] WinAmp
    Switch to Skype and ensure IndieVolume will automatically mute WinAmp on receiving the call
    Right-click on the tray icon, select Exit -- IndieVolume will stop

http://www.indievolume.com/tutorial/index.php
--- End quote ---

Curt:
I have never heard of programs with this set of features, and I wouldn't know why to need them.-Curt (November 17, 2015, 04:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here's an example: Say you don't have a cell phone or a landline, so you take all your calls on your PC via Skype or other VoIP. But you need to have the headset unplugged so you can hear the incoming ring from your speakers if you're away from your PC. But then if you answer the call, you can't talk through your headset because all the audio is going through your speakers.

Being able to switch from speakers to headset without having to hang up and start a new call is a nice feature.
-Deozaan (November 17, 2015, 06:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

^ thanks for the explanation, now it makes perfect sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version