ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Will you upgrade to Microsoft Office 2007?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Josh:
Allow me to ask something, how many of you have paid for the current version of office you are running? I know a lot of people say they wont upgrade because the price is too high, but I am just curious how many have paid for their CURRENT version?

m_s:
I found Office 2007 Beta to be excellent, and had I kept on my Windows machine, I would certainly have upgraded - after just a few hours of playing with it, returning to Office 2003 was difficult.

But having now switched to Mac, and faced with the prospect of paying again for Office, I've opted for Nisus Writer Express for my word-processing needs, and I think I can get by with Google Spreadsheets for the other part of Office that's sometimes been useful to me.

Carol Haynes:
Allow me to ask something, how many of you have paid for the current version of office you are running? I know a lot of people say they wont upgrade because the price is too high, but I am just curious how many have paid for their CURRENT version?
-Josh (June 30, 2006, 02:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Personally - I got Office 2000 Premium supplied with a computer but I paid for the upgrade to Office XP when they had a slump in sales and gave a good offer on the price. Even so I probably regret it as it hasn't added a lot of functionality over Office 2000. I also purchased an education copy of OneNote 2003.

I couldn't see the point of upgrading to Office 2003 (no one seemed to be able to point out anything new that wasn't aimed squarely at team working which is irrelevant for me).

I suppose I like the look of Office 2007 Beta - the toolbars are certainly good and an improvement but I'm not sure I can justify spending a lot of money on what is effectively a cosmetic upgrade - plus the licensing model means there is going to be a silly range of options to go for all at high or enormous prices. If an Education version is eventually released then I might consider going for that - but they tend to appear after some considerable time.

Personally I think that Office 2007 is very nice but will take some effort on the part of MS to get it adopted. The change in interface means that businesses will have huge potential costs in retraining staff to use the new software and I can see many being reluctant to go that way. Many businesses are still using Office 97 !! The new file formats in 2007 may make people reluctant too - espeically as Outlook 2007 produces incompatible files with earlier versions of Outlook (a bad decision IMHO that will backfire).

Rover:
I will probably end up with Office 2k7 on my system at some point.  It'll be free so what the heck.

kimmchii:
i wont install or use it even if it's free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version