ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Blog Essay: Reconsider - Startups Don't Need to Disrupt the Universe

(1/1)

mouser:
Long interesting essay ranting against the culture of startups that are trying to "disrupt" the universe, and in favor of a gentler slower approach.

https://medium.com/@dhh/reconsider-41adf356857f

Part of the problem seems to be that nobody these days is content to merely put their dent in the universe. No, they have to fucking own the universe. It’s not enough to be in the market, they have to dominate it. It’s not enough to serve customers, they have to capture them. In fact, it’s hard to carry on a conversation with most startup people these days without getting inundated with odes to network effects and the valiance of deferring “monetization” until you find something everyone in the whole damn world wants to fixate their eyeballs on.
--- End quote ---

Stoic Joker:
+1 for denting the universe - I truly detest the buying and selling of eyeballs game.

JavaJones:
in favor of a gentler slower approach-mouser (November 06, 2015, 09:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sometimes you just gotta romance the world universe into your bed, amiright? :D

- Oshyan

IainB:
^^ Har-de-har-har. Very droll.

Deozaan:
I guess I somehow missed this the first time around and just rediscovered it again today. Here's a good excerpt:

I’m going to pull out another trite saying here: It feels like honest work. Simple, honest work. I make a good product, you pay me good money for it. We don’t even need big words like monetization strategy to describe that transaction because it is so plain and simple even my three year-old son can understand it.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version