ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

linux mint newbie

<< < (4/4)

sword:
Turns out the latest release of Puppy Linux will offer to save state info on shutdown.  No CD needed.  Just run UnetBootin in Windows to install the puppy iso to USB stick.
-MilesAhead (November 13, 2015, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
Sounds like you answered the question. I used Netrunner_14.1 KDE to burn a downloaded copy from Distrowatch to 8GB flash. It could not be easier.

MilesAhead:
Speaking of Puppy, anyone know hot to get audio?  When I press "configure sound levels" all it get is a window frame with one check box with no label.  Play test sound gives me nothing.

MilesAhead:
Check distrowatch.com for release info for the new 64 bit Puppy.  I am downloading now.

Edit.  I am on it now.  Same deal.  No audio.  It does seem to boot faster from stick than the 32 bit version.

sword:
@Miles. Re: no audio. In my puppy taskbar there is an icon of a speaker in orange/yellow at the lower right and it has a red X through it. Mouseover says "volume muted" and this is the default. Clicking on it brings up a vertical bar where you can set the volume.
Puppy FatDog64 is *very fast* and I like the way it handles usb flash drives by unmounting and safely shutting them down.
Re: OP about Mint. For me, Mint_12 worked fine but versions 14 and 17 gave me a lot of trouble, possibly because of my unusual hardware setup.
One alternative to Mint is KaOS that has a basic and very good approach.

MilesAhead:
@sword thanks for the tip.  I'll check it out.   :Thmbsup:

Edit:  That did the trick.   8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version