ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SpiderOak Unlimited Space

<< < (4/7) > >>

eleman:
It truly is aggravating when a few idiots fail to use a little common sense, self police their actions, and screw it up for everybody.
-Stoic Joker (November 05, 2015, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

So advertising a service as "unlimited" is OK; but trying to see if it really is unlimited is not?-eleman (November 05, 2015, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

75TB?? Yeah, that's more than just a little past curiosity. Any "unlimited" plan is really just a statistical assumption that everyone's behavior will average out to something that the infrastructure can tolerate. And that's generally speaking a workable plan if nobody decides to be a smartass and push it past the limits of reason.
-Stoic Joker (November 05, 2015, 07:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

If we're counting smartasses, the first one was to use the term "unlimited" to label a service which he/she never intended to make "unlimited", but just a statistical gimmick.

f0dder:
It truly is aggravating when a few idiots fail to use a little common sense, self police their actions, and screw it up for everybody.-Stoic Joker (November 05, 2015, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
If you're in reality not going to offer unlimited storage, stop your marking drones from trying to gain goodwill with their usual lies. Simple as that.

I'm on a 40Mb symmetrical fiber connection, at my house ... But if I tried pushing anywhere close to 5TB up the wire I'd end up having a very unpleasant conversation with my ISP. So... 75TB!!! That had to have come from some clown on a commercial connection, because there's no way in hell a - classically upstream capped for a reason... - residential provider would have tolerated that volume of traffic coming from a single IP.-Stoic Joker (November 05, 2015, 07:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
Depends on provider. There's plenty of ISPs in Denmark that don't have silly caps, and give you the flatrate you pay for - including high-speed fibre providers.

The thing that worries me most about this change of policy isn't really the change of policy, but the emphasis in the quote:
Since we started to roll out unlimited cloud storage to Office 365 consumer subscribers, a small number of users backed up numerous PCs and stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings. In some instances, this exceeded 75 TB per user or 14,000 times the average.-Microsoft
--- End quote ---

Care to guess why I find that part troubling?

mwb1100:
So advertising a service as "unlimited" is OK; but trying to see if it really is unlimited is not?
-eleman (November 05, 2015, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

They are changing their policy - it was unlimited, now it won't be and they won't advertise it as such (at least that how I read things).

This change is obviously irritating and inconvenient for people who were taking advantage of large amounts of space, but I don't see anything deceptive about it. In fact they're being quite upfront about it. They offered unlimited storage, found they couldn't sustain it and have changed their policy as  result.

wraith808:
So advertising a service as "unlimited" is OK; but trying to see if it really is unlimited is not?
--- End quote ---

They are changing their policy - it was unlimited, now it won't be and they won't advertise it as such (at least that how I read things).

This change is obviously irritating and inconvenient for people who were taking advantage of large amounts of space, but I don't see anything deceptive about it. In fact they're being quite upfront about it. They offered unlimited storage, found they couldn't sustain it and have changed their policy as  result.
-mwb1100 (November 05, 2015, 09:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

This.

The thing that worries me most about this change of policy isn't really the change of policy, but the emphasis in the quote:
Since we started to roll out unlimited cloud storage to Office 365 consumer subscribers, a small number of users backed up numerous PCs and stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings. In some instances, this exceeded 75 TB per user or 14,000 times the average.-Microsoft
--- End quote ---

Care to guess why I find that part troubling?
-f0dder (November 05, 2015, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

They can see what's in your drive?  Yes, many of these 'services' can.  Especially for de-duping.  The big row over that happened a while ago.

Stoic Joker:
--- End quote ---

This change is obviously irritating and inconvenient for people who were taking advantage of large amounts of space, but I don't see anything deceptive about it. In fact they're being quite upfront about it. They offered unlimited storage, found they couldn't sustain it and have changed their policy as  result.-mwb1100 (November 05, 2015, 09:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Which is precisely what I was driving at, albeit tangentially. The provider couldn't sustain it because of a few bad apples that just wanted to push the issue past the point of reason. 75TB is ridiculous to start with...and their talking about people that were exceeding 75TB...by an implied factor of wow!

This is why we have such an idiotically convoluted legal system, full of bizarrely worded laws, and lawyers that we'd like to see shot. Everybody just wants to play word games looking for loopholes in everything so they can be right about dumb shit ... instead of just trying to be reasonable to start with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version