ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Unique Solution to Pirates

<< < (3/4) > >>

ewemoa:
I just wanted to point out that i think its a terrible idea for software to do bad things to a user's computer or files if it suspects that it has been pirated.
-mouser (October 24, 2015, 02:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I tend to lean in this direction too -- are software developers so skilled that these features might not be buggy/problematic sometimes in unexpected damaging ways?

mwb1100:
I agree with Mouser - it's fine as long as the bad behavior on crack detection doesn't destroy data.  But if I were the developer, instead of being a smart aleck  in my email response, I'd simply ask the person to provide registration details for support.  Was it Directory Opus that would display a message box with a cryptic error message that just had a number when it detected a cracked version was running, so when people would ask how to solve that error they could be asked to register the software?

And game developers also try to have fun with this kind of thing:

6 Hilarious Ways Game Designers Are Screwing Over Pirates
5 Hilarious Ways Game Designers Are Messing With Pirates

proton:
(moved)

Renegade:
I just wanted to point out that i think its a terrible idea for software to do bad things to a user's computer or files if it suspects that it has been pirated.-mouser (October 24, 2015, 02:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

That pretty much goes without saying. There's a pretty big line between scaring the piss out of someone and actually screwing up their computer.

But, like... c'mon... Blood dripping down a white static screen with a translucent, demonic face muttering things like "behind you" over top of radio static noise and a popup asking whether you want to sell your soul? That's some lovely Hallowe'en stuff right there~! ;D 

But that's all really "in your face". Why not be a bit more subtle... go after their sanity...

Imagine it's just a programming problem.

1. Discover whether they have speakers or headphones, and what kind?
2. Use 3D audio to play sounds in different locations - to their left. Slightly behind them. Over their shoulders...
3. Schedule playback of different audio in different locations over months with the intensity building slowly.

For the audio, you can use lower resolutions for smaller file sizes and automatically get that old radio static built in to a degree.

Oh... the fun just thinking of it~! ;D

4. Slowly work in video, like TV white noise flashing, or faint overlays of faces or horrific scenes that fade in/out.
5. Schedule the video similar to the audio with increasing intensity.
6. After a year or so have a final climax if they haven't already called in an exorcist~! ;D

And think of what you could do with their webcam! Record bits of their own audio then process it to get useful tidbits to play back. Just how creepy would it be to hear yourself? Disjoint audio that picks out single words to play back? "He... sleeps..." The later, "He... rises"?

In the end, with enough imagination, it would probably be far kinder to simply go after their systems rather than their minds. :P

MWAHAHAHAHAAHA~!

;D

proton:
(moved)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version