ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Hotkeys don't persist

(1/4) > >>

RightPaddock:
Windows 10 Upgrade; Screen Shot Captor v4.13.0 BETA - Sep 12, 2015

This has been happening to me for a very long time, on Windows 7 and Windows 10 upgrade and many previous versions of SC.   

Today I had to do about 10 restarts and take screen shots with context menus - sometimes the hot key would persist, other times it wouldn't.  On one occasion the choices offered were bizarre, sorry I can't recall what they were - I was able to resolve that by logging off and on

Say I set the hot keys like this

Hotkeys don't persist

Tomorrow or maybe the next day (after a shut down, some zzzz's and start up) they will all be blank

Yes I do click the Accept the button

Where are the settings stored ?

Oh, I haven't reported it before, because I only use SC when I cant do something with Windows Capture tool, such as delayed captures or transients like context menu's.  But today it was 'driving me nuts' - I'm normally a fault tolerant user :lol:

RP

mouser:
I've not heard of such a problem -- but it could be something else taking over the hotkeys..
SC saves its settings, by default in "C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\DonationCoder\ScreenshotCaptor\ScreenshotCaptor.ini"

One thing that shouldn't happen but has been known to happen is SC not being able to save its settings at system reboot/shutdown.  To check if this is the case, change your hotkeys and then manually exit and restart SC and check the settings.

tomos:
I presume this setting wont affect hotkeys, but maybe check it in case (i.e. ensure it's *not* ticked)

Hotkeys don't persist

RightPaddock:
...To check if this is the case, change your hotkeys and then manually exit and restart SC and check the settings.-mouser (October 21, 2015, 09:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yep that's fine

But why wait until shutdown to save them, why aren't they saved when Accept is clicked. 

Shutdown is a somewhat random process, essentially Windows broadcasts a message to tell all applications to terminate now, knowing what happens in that melee is like knowing what happens in a rugby scrum.  I probably run more tray apps than most folks

Hotkeys don't persist

What are the circumstances in which SC creates a fresh ScreenshotCaptor.ini file.  The other thing I change is default save location (to desktop) sometimes I lose that, it reverts to ...\Documents\DonationCoder\ScreenshotCaptor\Screenshots, not sure of that's coincident with losing hotkeys - maybe/probably.

BTW it's OK this morning, but tomorrow its likely it'll be not OK.  I'll save the ini file as it is now and when it goes awry I'll do a compare, post here etc.  But I really do think you should consider saving the settings into the ini file when the Accept key is clicked. Or provide a Save Settings button, or right context menu item at least.

mouser:
The other thing I change is default save location (to desktop) sometimes I lose that, it reverts to ...\Documents\DonationCoder\ScreenshotCaptor\Screenshots, not sure of that's coincident with losing hotkeys -
--- End quote ---

hmm it sounds like it may be losing your settings file completely and reverting to defaults.. that's odd.

is your user documents directory on a network drive?

did you "install" SC by copying it from one machine to another?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version